1997 Jeep Cherokee SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1997 Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Sort Reviews by

Endless reliability internally, falling apart externally
By Jack Nelson

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV

I've had my cherokee for roughly 4 years now, bought it used at 120,000 miles, and I have yet to even touch the motor in terms of repairs. It is a modern day sherman tank mechanically. I've obviously had to replace my share of wear and tear parts such as the alternator, tie rods, brakes, etc. But never anything on the motor, or even the transmission for that matter. Unfortunately, as with all cars, it is falling apart at the seams in terms of appearance. The bumper fell off the other day for no reason, and it has a crackle when idling (most likely the catalytic converter). Its a pretty big gas guzzler as well. All around I'd say it is the perfect "point A to point B" vehicle.

Favorite Features

reliable, structurally sound, 4wd is awesome in the winter, good towing capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

What do you expect, its from the 90's. You won't get a better vehicle from this era in terms of performance

Love my Cherokee
By dylanc

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love my Jeep Cherokee. It has 230k miles on it and no serious mechanical issues. The automatic transmission is fantastic (AW4). I used to hate Jeeps, but after having this thing I want to buy more and more. It isnt the most comfortable SUV, but if you're looking for a reliable, good looking Jeep then look no further. The 4.0L is notoriously reliable. I have a 2006 Commander with 100k miles and my 230k Cherokee gives me less problems. When things do go wrong, parts are cheap and with an afternoon pretty much anything can be fixed. If you can find one in the South you dont have to worry about rust. I will never get rid of my Cherokee, maybe just buy more. My favorite Jeep every made

Favorite Features

Bulletproof 4.0L. Snappy fantastic transmission. Great looks. Front seats are very comfortable. So many aftermarket parts for it.

I LOVE THIS THING!
By bradthecarman

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm completely in love with my cherokee. I have over 260k miles on it, all ive really had to do is preventative care and regular maintance. Its one of the best values I've ever seen. I wish I would of bought two. It is without a doubt one of the best daily drivers out there.

Favorite Features

Interior is great, Love the turning radius, Also the inline 6 cylinder will run forever.

Suggested Improvements

Its got a rugged suspension, maybe make it alittle more comfortable of a ride.

OIIIIO thrills
By OIIIIO driver

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I have a 93 indestructible Cherokee. I just bought this 97 Cherokee, with 245K miles on it. Paid $1500 for him. My 93 is a standard this 97 is an automatic. IF you can find one get one. I easily expect to get 300 K out of this Jeep. I have 2 new cars a 4runner and a Pontiac, but would rather drive my 97 Jeep any day than these due to the fact "he" is solid as a rock. If the powers that be ever read these blogs , they would re invent these Jeeps, and would have a new following, I love mine and dread the day (if ever) I get rid of it.

Favorite Features

The dependability, the timeless looks,

Suggested Improvements

C'mon Chrysler, you're way too smart to act so dumb, bring these back in some form or another and you will have a new wave of loyal customers.

Love it, can't find anything better
By CCoccia

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this Jeep for 11 yrs. No other vehicle I have had will cruise at 80 on the interstate, then take the extreme trails in the OHV park like they were nothing. I bought a Mini Cooper and it's a good thing I kept the Jeep-way more dependable and a lot cheaper to fix than the Mini. I've hauled building materials, pulled out chain-link fencing and stumps, still on the original clutch at 126,000 miles. It has never left me on the side of the road or refused to start. All I have had to do is routine maintenance, lube oil and filter, brakes (once), and a water pump. I've decided to put some money into paint and new carpet etc. and just keep driving it.

Favorite Features

The inline six has tons of torque and horsepower. My Jeep has the Up Country package so it is an animal off road

Suggested Improvements

I think the A/C evaporator is the weak link in the system, and sooner or later I will tackle replacement which is a serious job.

Good Jeep!
By Antoine

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

My Jeep was given to me for my 17th birthday present, I like it a whole lot, accept for the low gas mileage, and the rough ride. My o2 sensors went out and I needed a new caddy converter. One more thing is my seats are beginning to squeak a lot but other than those its a fun car!

Favorite Features

I love the space!

Suggested Improvements

eh, the back seats are a little ugly looking but it is an older car, and the gas mileage could be a bit better..

The Jeep Thing
By Jeep_Florida

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it in 2008 and has 112k miles and i`m tge 2nd owner,never used 4 off- road,4.0,4x4,5 speed(oh yeah i want to change gear when i want to),MPG- 19 city,24 highway at 70 mph,20 towing a u- haul tralier.Never had any major repairs i replaced the shocks,breaks,all fluids,wiper blades,installed a cd player and also new speakers with amp all on weekends...grab a beer and save money doing that 4 fun.Easy to work on,fun to drive,to park,lot of space inside,best suv for the money.If u want to save money on gas ride a bicycle...want a smooth ride buy a BMW,but the JEEP is the way to go everywhere.

Favorite Features

4X4,4.0,manual transmission,front seats,cheap parts,bullet proof engine,trunk acess,full size spare tire,etc.

Suggested Improvements

I love the way it is but you can do lots of upgrades google for jeep parts.Every car have his own design for everyone,but i love this one...simple.

Like the Energizer bunny, it keeps going
By jeep4ever@puertorico

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

Always wanted a Cherokee since high school and it came true about 7 years ago. Bought it with 60,000, in RED no less and with the 4.0. Picked a 2wd (less weight/better fuel econ). Repairs have been few: water pump;radiator;gas pump;starter. Take good care of it and it will last forever!

Favorite Features

Lots of power!!! Looove the reflection of RAVA4s and CRVs on my rearview mirror. Driving position, timeless style, perfect size, build like a brick, the perfect beach companion!

Suggested Improvements

Discontinued. Not very spacious, cheap Walmart interiors, no cupholders, sloppy handling, harsh ride. Remember, this baby was designed in the 80's it's all part of the charm!

war wagon
By sapper2002

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased jeep when I joined the army. I really didn't care for it at first but figured I needed a 4x4 for the colorado winters, after I really abused it off road over and over again I fell in love with it now I will never get rid of it. I have put 180,000 hard miles on it with no major repairs. I actually feel bad for the way I treated it because it never let me down. Has good power and great 4x4 going places where my buddies lifted trucks cant or end up high centered. Still cant figure out why they ended it. Not very smart.

Favorite Features

4x4, power, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back.

Loved mine!
By spencer Millsap

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep back in 2002 with 90k miles ALREADY on it! I just got rid of it at 205k miles to get a new Jeep Patriot 4x4. Awesome transition. I loved my Jeep, super dependable, great 4x4 performance, perfect cargo space, etc. Had to deal with water pumps, radiators, catalytic converters, and all other wear and tear of the car, but it lasted me 205k miles and it is STILL running strong. Go get one with low miles if you can find one

Favorite Features

body style, ground clearance, truck versatility, compact size

Suggested Improvements

none, bring it back