1997 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
1997 - a Good Year
By Susan on 07/10/09 03:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Jeep Cherokee new in 1997. It has a straight six engine, manual transmission - no frills. What a workhorse - It has well over 200,000 miles and all it has ever needed were oil changes, tires and windshield wipers. It doesn't get any better than this. When the engine goes I may get it rebuilt since the straight six is easy to rebuild.

Good Vehicle
By george on 04/26/08 07:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV

I've 237,000 plus miles on this vehicle. Major repairs include clutch replacement (twice), fuel pump, radiator, water pump, air conditioning (freezes up intermittently, still does), and I've replaced the battery harness once. Despite these repairs, it's been a great utility truck for driving on construction job sites. I love power of base inline 6 engine. I've gotten consistently 23 mpg. average city/hwy. If Jeep makes this vehicle again, I would buy another one. It's a classic.

Beware
By Whitney on 05/25/06 14:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV

My Jeep has had nothing but problems. Radiator cracked, windows leak, doesn't start most of the time. I have replaced many sensors, hoses, and more. Has had about $4,000 put into it and still doesn't run well. Hasn't held up like I expected. Has a little over 100,000 miles.