Used 1997 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Endless reliability internally, falling apart externally
By Jack Nelson

1997 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV

I've had my cherokee for roughly 4 years now, bought it used at 120,000 miles, and I have yet to even touch the motor in terms of repairs. It is a modern day sherman tank mechanically. I've obviously had to replace my share of wear and tear parts such as the alternator, tie rods, brakes, etc. But never anything on the motor, or even the transmission for that matter. Unfortunately, as with all cars, it is falling apart at the seams in terms of appearance. The bumper fell off the other day for no reason, and it has a crackle when idling (most likely the catalytic converter). Its a pretty big gas guzzler as well. All around I'd say it is the perfect "point A to point B" vehicle.

reliable, structurally sound, 4wd is awesome in the winter, good towing capabilities.

What do you expect, its from the 90's. You won't get a better vehicle from this era in terms of performance

Love my Cherokee
By dylanc

1997 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love my Jeep Cherokee. It has 230k miles on it and no serious mechanical issues. The automatic transmission is fantastic (AW4). I used to hate Jeeps, but after having this thing I want to buy more and more. It isnt the most comfortable SUV, but if you're looking for a reliable, good looking Jeep then look no further. The 4.0L is notoriously reliable. I have a 2006 Commander with 100k miles and my 230k Cherokee gives me less problems. When things do go wrong, parts are cheap and with an afternoon pretty much anything can be fixed. If you can find one in the South you dont have to worry about rust. I will never get rid of my Cherokee, maybe just buy more. My favorite Jeep every made

Bulletproof 4.0L. Snappy fantastic transmission. Great looks. Front seats are very comfortable. So many aftermarket parts for it.

I LOVE THIS THING!
By bradthecarman

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm completely in love with my cherokee. I have over 260k miles on it, all ive really had to do is preventative care and regular maintance. Its one of the best values I've ever seen. I wish I would of bought two. It is without a doubt one of the best daily drivers out there.

Interior is great, Love the turning radius, Also the inline 6 cylinder will run forever.

Its got a rugged suspension, maybe make it alittle more comfortable of a ride.

OIIIIO thrills
By OIIIIO driver

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I have a 93 indestructible Cherokee. I just bought this 97 Cherokee, with 245K miles on it. Paid $1500 for him. My 93 is a standard this 97 is an automatic. IF you can find one get one. I easily expect to get 300 K out of this Jeep. I have 2 new cars a 4runner and a Pontiac, but would rather drive my 97 Jeep any day than these due to the fact "he" is solid as a rock. If the powers that be ever read these blogs , they would re invent these Jeeps, and would have a new following, I love mine and dread the day (if ever) I get rid of it.

The dependability, the timeless looks,

C'mon Chrysler, you're way too smart to act so dumb, bring these back in some form or another and you will have a new wave of loyal customers.

Love it, can't find anything better
By CCoccia

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this Jeep for 11 yrs. No other vehicle I have had will cruise at 80 on the interstate, then take the extreme trails in the OHV park like they were nothing. I bought a Mini Cooper and it's a good thing I kept the Jeep-way more dependable and a lot cheaper to fix than the Mini. I've hauled building materials, pulled out chain-link fencing and stumps, still on the original clutch at 126,000 miles. It has never left me on the side of the road or refused to start. All I have had to do is routine maintenance, lube oil and filter, brakes (once), and a water pump. I've decided to put some money into paint and new carpet etc. and just keep driving it.

The inline six has tons of torque and horsepower. My Jeep has the Up Country package so it is an animal off road

I think the A/C evaporator is the weak link in the system, and sooner or later I will tackle replacement which is a serious job.