Still Kickin
By josephmartins on
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD
Bought it with 154k miles on the odometer. Fifth Jeep I have owned (incl a 90 and 2001 Cherokee, and a 97 and 98 Grand Cherokee). I never hesitate to buy a high mileage Jeep if it has been cared for by the previous owners. Immediately switched it to synthetic fluids/lubes for everything but the transmission. Just passed 232k miles and still going strong. Needed to replace the radiator at about 190k miles. While I had things apart I also replaced the coolant hoses, heater hoses, trans and power steering lines just to be safe. The last thing you want to do is tear it all apart again in 30k miles. Lazily neglected to replace the water pump. That came back to bite me about 20k miles later.
Favorite Features
Timeless, classic style. Seems to fit just about anything. I have hauled stoves, washer/dryers, large snowblowers, even a 22cuft fridge (with the hatch open). Hauled a Mustang shell on a trailer too. Very versatile. Inexpensive parts. Easy to work on for most things. Easy oil changes.
Suggested Improvements
Can't do much about the fuel economy. I average 17 city/20 highway to this day with the 4.0L. Add a trans and/or engine cooler if you plan to tow (just to be safe). A trailer hitch comes in handy too. Use synthetics wherever you can and do extended changes (I do 8-9k oil changes).