"Just right" four wheel drive
By amcjavelin74 on
1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD
I purchased my Cherokee back in 2006 with 180k miles on it, and drove it everyday for a couple of years. Now it sees limited use (towing, going off road, and hauling stuff around... hard miles) with just under 220k miles. Burns no oil, always starts, and when something does go wrong, I've always been able to fix it myself. While it was my daily driver, I added a 2 inch lift, and a year later got a 3.5" lift and added larger tires. It's quicker accelerating than a Hummer H3, as tested by some guy and myself (on a closed course) a while back.
Favorite Features
*4.0 engine is reliable, torquey, and durable. Not the most powerful in the higher revs, but Jeep doesn't build race cars. *That same engine design originated in 1964. I'ts a proven design. *transmission is durable and takes abuse well. *solid axles are simple and durable *a real transfer case! How many "SUVs" these days have a real transfer case for 4x4 (or "all wheel" drive)? *17-22mpg highway is a tick under the wife's "latest and greatest" front drive suv. *Interior is 'trucky'. Not all rounded and wussified like so many vehicles these days.
Suggested Improvements
*a manual transmission (in my Jeep.... these were available factory) *front and rear dana 44s *lockers front and rear *yes I'm basically "building" a Cherokee Rubicon here... sounds a lot like a modern wrangler 4 door... hmmm... *a huge canvas sunroof like what's available on the current liberty.