Used 1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Great performing small SUV
By Susan

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport new. It is still running great. I have only had general maintenance and no major repairs. It is perfect for me to haul around my 5 dogs.The only complaints I have are 1. the cup holder was poorly placed when designed. It broke off twice and I replaced it once. At $12 a pop I decided to do without. 2.The radio died after 5 years and the replacement I got is nowhere near as simple to use. 3. I wish they had allowed for a little more leg room. Overall, this Jeep has been very good and reliable transportation and I will probably drive it another 10-12 years.

Good Reliable All-Purpose vehicle
By Arthur D

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Had vehicle over 7 years. Hauls everything from hay to infants. Have driven through swamps, & snow covered roads other vehicles couldn't. Plenty of room to haul tools, supplies, and kids gear. Rear seat does not have a lot of legroom for adults so not recommended for long trips with 4 adults, but fine with kids. Get 20 MPG. Low maintenance bills. No major problems. A little noisy/bumpy on the highway compared to new vehicles, but it really drives well in the bad weather. This Jeep has driven: dates in college, buddies, friends going fishing, dogs, tools, clients, building materials, canoes, the bride and groom, babies, toddlers, and gear in all types of weather. A good all-purpose vehicle.

Folding back seat for large flat area for hauling items. 4WD. Powerful 6 cylinder engine. Luggage rack. Easy to strap in infant child seats in rear seat tightly, and get the kids in/out because of the hight of vehicle. Do not need to bend a lot as with a car.

AC condenser makes noise sometimes. More rear seat leg room. Better/more cupholders.

My savior
By 4dr jeep country

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Thank God for my Jeep! I bought it with 77000 miles; it now has 91000, and I only got it 8 months ago. It's been very reliable; the only thing I've had to replace so far is a power steering pump which is nothing. My Cherokee is great in the snow. It is very comfortable for a driver that's 6'3" and it's fast. The gas mileage isn't the best, but what is these days.

Leather seats, 4wd and inline six.

My Jeep probably makes a 1000 different sounds but it always runs strong.

One Of The Best
By Boston

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I really can't say enough about my 1996 Cherokee Sport. It has been an amazing vehicle, and I've had my share. No doubt about it, this is a JEEP, not a luxury car - and it looks and feels that way... rugged and utilitarian. However, they are great for a varity of scenarios, including the urban jungle. If I had to pick a bad spot, I'd have to say gas mileage and comfort on longer trips. This classic model is a bit aged these days, but they're a wonderful value for the price.

Solid as a rock
By Tim

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our 4WD Sport new 9 years ago. At 99,000 miles, it has been mechanically perfect - not a single breakdown. Only repairs have been normal maintenance items. Ample power for pulling a 2,000 lb trailer over high passes. It's noisy and rides like, well, a Jeep. But on lousy mining roads, it never gets stuck, and is absolutely unbendable. Not stylish, not particulary comfortable, gas mileage is nothing to brag about; it is the ultimate utility vehicle.

Reliability, ruggedness, towing power.

A little sound insulation would be nice. But since the Cherokee is discontinued, it's a moot point.