Used 1996 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

One Of The Best
By Boston

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I really can't say enough about my 1996 Cherokee Sport. It has been an amazing vehicle, and I've had my share. No doubt about it, this is a JEEP, not a luxury car - and it looks and feels that way... rugged and utilitarian. However, they are great for a varity of scenarios, including the urban jungle. If I had to pick a bad spot, I'd have to say gas mileage and comfort on longer trips. This classic model is a bit aged these days, but they're a wonderful value for the price.

Solid as a rock
By Tim

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our 4WD Sport new 9 years ago. At 99,000 miles, it has been mechanically perfect - not a single breakdown. Only repairs have been normal maintenance items. Ample power for pulling a 2,000 lb trailer over high passes. It's noisy and rides like, well, a Jeep. But on lousy mining roads, it never gets stuck, and is absolutely unbendable. Not stylish, not particulary comfortable, gas mileage is nothing to brag about; it is the ultimate utility vehicle.

Favorite Features

Reliability, ruggedness, towing power.

Suggested Improvements

A little sound insulation would be nice. But since the Cherokee is discontinued, it's a moot point.

Great, Reliable SUV
By DrumFamily

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV

We bought our Jeep in 2002 with 85k miles on it. We've since run it past 120k, and it is still going strong. We've had to replace the water pump and serpentine belt, but that was it. It really is a solid vehicle, with great construction and is truly reliable. Would recommend to potential buyers.

Favorite Features

It handles like a dream. The sheer power of the vehicle- you know it's a JEEP. The torque is awesome, great pick-up and go. We like to take it to the mountains and it's always been our road-trip vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could use some tweaking. There are no cup holders or anything like that. I also find that the back seat does not have enough leg room to fit an adult comfortably.

Jeep 96 sport
By Johnny Dare

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 96 sport with 112000 miles i now have 126000 on it with no major problems, other than the shake at mid speed which im checking into it has done well for me, gas mileage is about 18 so im not complaining at all, cup holders are another issue, more would be better but were to put them is the other problem.back seat good for kids not much else, received recall notice about the hubs and steering box, nice to know that jeep is still covering any problems that come up years after the warrenty is gone

Favorite Features

inline 6, style, cold ac

Suggested Improvements

wind and road noise could be reduced by better seals in the windows, cupholders

Jeep Cherokee the greatest Car
By David2

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I bought this cherokee 96 around January 2003 with 90000miles. Now, mine has almost 120000, but still runs strong!!! No major or minor problems so far. Great car! this vehicle is built really well. Only thing I have little complain with is its fuel economy. However, this vehicle has 4.0 L engine meaning that naturally fuel economy can't be good as one expects. Moreover, this vehicle has fast acceleration.~ good good good. I don't see any bad things.

Favorite Features

fast acceleration. well built. fun to drive. its exterior design which had last for more than15years.

Suggested Improvements

interior design. Fuel Economy( I don't really see this a problem cuz it has 4.0L powerful engine. The larger engine u get, the worse fuel economy u get.)