1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews 7

1996 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

1996 Cherokee Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Best midsize SUV bargain
By -

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, an awesome vehicle. It's made by Jeep and certainly lives up to it's name being a very serious off roading vehicle. Low weight and a very powerful engine makes for great acceleration and power (extremely high power to weight ratio). Dated design, but I like it - I'd prefer to call it rugged.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, cool yet vintage styling, classic interior, interior luggage cover, bulletproof four wheel drive system.

Love my XJ!
By bigmackloud

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

It will be a sad day if i ever have to part with my XJ. it's fun to drive, very quick for an SUV, and it's awesome off-road. rides nice, the engine is very torquey, also the 4.0L I6 engine lasts forever. the back seat is small, not really ment for large adults on long trips. cargo area is decent. my spirited driving style nets around 18mpg, mixed driving. as high as 22mpg on the hwy. very reliable. doesn't have problems w/the little stuff breaking like in other cars. there are noises, but that's the Jeep trade mark. so far the noises haven't caused any problems in almost 100K miles, so i'm not worried.

Favorite Features

the 4X4 kicks butt. once you become a Jeeper, you never go back. the best feature of a Jeep is the people. other Jeepers are the coolest people in the world. they know their vehicles better than they know their children.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders would be nice. and more back seat room.

these SUV's last forever
By jobusto

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

had a catalytic converter fail on me, and thats it. at 100000 miles, it still runs like a charm. best vehicle i've ever owned.

Favorite Features

power, reliablility

Suggested Improvements

should start making them again

hope it comes back
By djb

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My jeep is used for pulling heavy loads, hunting, fishing, scuba diving, trapping, and fun. My friends always comment on how jeep should use me in their commercials. I find that it is extremely nimble off road, and has great power and handling on the highway (even when pulling a load). Bottom line is that it`s reliable and practical. It carries a large canoe well with it`s sqaure racks and it`s size is just right. I went on a 10,000 km trip across canada and it was loaded to the max. It drove like a charm, both on and off the road. From anyone I know with a jeep, mine has many years left. Hopefully the jeep will be brought back by the time I need to replace this one.

Favorite Features

the fact that the rear end does not stick out from the rear tired too far (better for approaching sttep angles so it won`t scape). Very functional rack unlike other SUV`s I`ve tried to put my canoe on. Power is also good.

Suggested Improvements

Rear passenger comfort is somewaht tight, but I wouldn`t change anything except to put head rests on the rear seats if this allows them to still fold down. Also needs cupholders.

What an SUV should be!
By Objective Owner

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV

The Cherokee is what an SUV should be; power to tow, excellent off-road capability, reliable, versatile,tough, and still comfortable and fun to drive. I have not had any problems with the vehicle. It tows a trailer very easily, is confident off road in some very rough country, and still works great for hauling groceries or clients. I admit to being a little critical of SUV's that were never meant to work. It seems like a bit of a waste.

Favorite Features

Reliable, tough off-road, still well mannered in town.

Suggested Improvements

I hope it comes back in some variation.

Too bad it's extinct!
By Maddog

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

I don't understand the decision to put this vehicle out to pasture. For the price and versatility, this has, by far, been the best vehicle I've owned. At 6 1/2 years old with 102,000 miles, mine is still going strong. All I've had to do is keep up with the basic maintenance. The worst mechanical problem I've had is the water pump went bad at around 100,000 miles. The model that took it's place will never match up to this awesome vehicle. I'll drive this til the wheels and engine fall off and then I'll replace them and keep on going. This will probably end up being the vehicle my kids inherit when they get their driver's licenses. I agree with the other review - BRING IT BACK!

Favorite Features

Engine power is great along with overall performance. It's a great family vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem is with the lack of room in the back seat for adults. Add a little more space there and you can't beat it.

Jeepers creapers
By cheri key

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Minimal upkeep w/ care over 6 years. No rust, original exhaust, replaced shocks at 35k, wheel bearings at 42k. No smoke or oil. Solid vehicle - shame Jeep dropped this model in 2002.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back! Jeep will find out the same thing Coke did when it did away with the original Coke formula - Big mistake.

fun
By peter

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

the jeep I have is a great one. yes I have made several changes such as a chevy small block v-8 and a few fun off road things. but just as a jeep as it was it was great to go out and play around in the back country. I only find one problem with the jeep, the electrical wiring, I found, is a little out of the loop. wires often come loose and can cause you to kick and yell at the jeep. but other than that bot the 2.8L and the 4.0L motors are great.

Favorite Features

easy to install anything on it, shocks, lifts, new axles. but it is easy to also work on and a person can do anything himself at home.

Suggested Improvements

if the owner is wanting to go out in the back country I do warn that there is not much power to speak of. if you are really itching to go out suggest K&N filters or a new engine like my chevy small block v8