Used 1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

LOVE THIS VEHICLE!
By Linda HORRELL

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I LOVE my 1996 Jeep SE Cherokee! I bought it new in 1996, been driving it ever since. Just today (10 years and 87,000 miles later) had to bring it to the dealer with a problem (no heat, but overheating). It's a nice compact 4-wheel drive that has given me no real problems for the past 10 years. Good for snow and good for city driving and parking. Pulled a boat 2,000 miles to and from Florida, hauled dogs and dry cleaning. I love it! I even love its '96 boxy design. Downside: back seat is small & the cup holders worthless, occasionally overheats a bit in the summer if I'm sitting in rush hour traffic.

Favorite Features

4-wheel drive on the fly, nice size (not a gigantic SUV), easy to park and drive on narrow city streets. Love the hatch back (great for tailgating) and the "window shade cover" I bought when I first got it to provide privacy for the back.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back! Better cup holders. A little more leg room in the back seat would be nice.

Truly Remarkable
By Banker

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased vehicle in '98, used, from private seller who didn't even know it had 4 wheel drive. Used for everything from daily work commute to locating trail heads of mountain bike trails. Capability is superb and so compromises ride quality. Mechanically very sound, only replacing AC electronic switch ($20). Not looking forward to being able to purchase another when the time comes.

Favorite Features

4x4, classic look, dependability, value!

Suggested Improvements

Back seat small, though bigger than Wrangler, if I had to think of something

Great performing small SUV
By Susan

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport new. It is still running great. I have only had general maintenance and no major repairs. It is perfect for me to haul around my 5 dogs.The only complaints I have are 1. the cup holder was poorly placed when designed. It broke off twice and I replaced it once. At $12 a pop I decided to do without. 2.The radio died after 5 years and the replacement I got is nowhere near as simple to use. 3. I wish they had allowed for a little more leg room. Overall, this Jeep has been very good and reliable transportation and I will probably drive it another 10-12 years.

Good Reliable All-Purpose vehicle
By Arthur D

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Had vehicle over 7 years. Hauls everything from hay to infants. Have driven through swamps, & snow covered roads other vehicles couldn't. Plenty of room to haul tools, supplies, and kids gear. Rear seat does not have a lot of legroom for adults so not recommended for long trips with 4 adults, but fine with kids. Get 20 MPG. Low maintenance bills. No major problems. A little noisy/bumpy on the highway compared to new vehicles, but it really drives well in the bad weather. This Jeep has driven: dates in college, buddies, friends going fishing, dogs, tools, clients, building materials, canoes, the bride and groom, babies, toddlers, and gear in all types of weather. A good all-purpose vehicle.

Favorite Features

Folding back seat for large flat area for hauling items. 4WD. Powerful 6 cylinder engine. Luggage rack. Easy to strap in infant child seats in rear seat tightly, and get the kids in/out because of the hight of vehicle. Do not need to bend a lot as with a car.

Suggested Improvements

AC condenser makes noise sometimes. More rear seat leg room. Better/more cupholders.

My savior
By 4dr jeep country

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Thank God for my Jeep! I bought it with 77000 miles; it now has 91000, and I only got it 8 months ago. It's been very reliable; the only thing I've had to replace so far is a power steering pump which is nothing. My Cherokee is great in the snow. It is very comfortable for a driver that's 6'3" and it's fast. The gas mileage isn't the best, but what is these days.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, 4wd and inline six.

Suggested Improvements

My Jeep probably makes a 1000 different sounds but it always runs strong.