1996 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Bullit Proof
By Mike on 10/05/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Has well over 100K miles and still running strong. Brakes have a slight pulsating problem.

Yes they can last!
By long island resident on 07/27/09 18:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the third owner of my Jeep. I bought it at 191,000. Today, I'm proud to say it's at 298,000 and still running strong. Just know this, I recently entered my vin on carfax out of curiosity and found out the 96's have a recall for the catalytic converter. I had no idea. I actually paid a lot of money for a mechanic to fix this almost 2 years ago and it's acting up again. I'm bringing it into the dealer tomorrow. Know your car!

327,000k and still going!
By Stillgoing on 07/20/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV

My '96 Jeep Cherokee Country was handed down to me with 280,000 miles on it and me being the 4th driver! It came from Texas and driven all over the eastern coast. Very reliable! The motor has been rebuilt, new transmission, but other than that, just typical wear and tear maintenance. It has been a great vehicle for our family and we plan on buying another Jeep soon.

All 4 corners of the US and back again
By knowonder on 04/28/09 19:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

We went from San Diego to the midwest back to San Diego to Alaska and over 500+ miles of continuous gravel road. Then Alaska to Boston to Illinois to the Keys. Plenty of 4WD times. All with our 18' sea kayaks on the roof. I just saw a post that somebody is closing in on 900,000 miles on theirs. I wanted 300,000 but now just set my new goal. There's something like home in that square box. Drives great and very reliable. Heading to the west coast from Indiana soon. Replaced radiator, water pump. Only other problem we've had is with the AC. We didn't know that for a solid couple years. We're windows people.

Mr. Reliable
By W. Tarr on 04/16/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 96' Cherokee 2 Door Sport 10 years ago with 35,000 miles on it. The only work that I have had to do to it was replace the muffler and tailpipe, set of front brake pads and a starter. It now has 145,000 miles on it and uses no oil and gets around 22-23 mpg. It is the most efficient 4wd I have ever owned. I wish they still made them! My body is still in great shape despite the winters here in PA. The paint isn't the best but it has yet to rust out. The engine is a work horse and will take me anywhere I need to go!

Still Kickin
By josephmartins on 02/28/09 21:33 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it with 154k miles on the odometer. Fifth Jeep I have owned (incl a 90 and 2001 Cherokee, and a 97 and 98 Grand Cherokee). I never hesitate to buy a high mileage Jeep if it has been cared for by the previous owners. Immediately switched it to synthetic fluids/lubes for everything but the transmission. Just passed 232k miles and still going strong. Needed to replace the radiator at about 190k miles. While I had things apart I also replaced the coolant hoses, heater hoses, trans and power steering lines just to be safe. The last thing you want to do is tear it all apart again in 30k miles. Lazily neglected to replace the water pump. That came back to bite me about 20k miles later.

The Greatest American Car Ever Built!!!!
By FM on 01/02/09 10:04 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV

The car has never been to the dealer just now 01/02/09 the motor over heated so its getting a complete engine rebuild the cylinder heads and walls do not have a single scratch and no sludge in the crank case was offered $5000 for the car will never sell priceless!

Dependable and Low Maintenance
By Jan B. on 12/30/08 09:43 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car thinking I would have it about 5 years. I drove it for 12 and had only routine maintenance. It has pretty good get up and go for merging onto the interstate and the Part-Time Shift to put it into 4WD for icy/snowy conditions was nice to have. I recently checked and found I get about 17 to 18 MPG.

A true SUV icon.
By stillgoing on 11/23/08 01:06 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in 1998 with 44,000 miles. Now approaching 230,000 virtually trouble-free miles. This solid vehicle has been a reliable constant in my life throughout several major life changes. Always starts easily, has great torque, strong 4WD, superb off- road capability, sure and confident handling. The I6 engine is the best Chrysler has made. Paint and body still looks new. Have needed to replace radiator, rotors, brake hardware, clutch, water pump, serp belt, and steering gear box but that's about it. Of course it has a bit of highway noise, interior and instrument materials are rather cheap, and it is a not as comfy as a new SUV. However, these are not what sets a Jeep apart from the rest.

Best SUV Jeep has ever made
By Ralph C. on 05/26/08 18:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased our jeep in 1998 for my wife to drive. At first glance she didn't like it, until she hopped in and took it for a spin. Haven't been able to get her out of it since. Excellent vehicle. Some maintenance in past 10 years but nothing major. I hope to get her another vehicle and I will get the jeep. If jeep would make the Cherokee again i would by one in a heartbeat. 196,000 miles and still going strong.