Used 1996 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

See ya Cherokee
By velocerider

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Took my Cherokee to the junkyard today. Bought it new in 1996. It's been in all environments, the coast, mountains, deserts and cities and performed like a champ. Replaced a water pump, brakes, tires and radio. The only thing that didn't work was the hydraulics on the rear hatch. Rescued stranded motorists, carried Christmas trees and was given to my son as his first car, after it had over 209K miles racked up on it. My inexperienced son ran into a F250 Ford dualie and tore the rear axle right off that truck. The Jeep suffered terrible front end damage. My son didn't have a scratch. I should be so lucky, as to go out as big a hero as that Jeep!

Favorite Features

4WD and 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine

Suggested Improvements

Make more of them.

"Just right" four wheel drive
By amcjavelin74

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Cherokee back in 2006 with 180k miles on it, and drove it everyday for a couple of years. Now it sees limited use (towing, going off road, and hauling stuff around... hard miles) with just under 220k miles. Burns no oil, always starts, and when something does go wrong, I've always been able to fix it myself. While it was my daily driver, I added a 2 inch lift, and a year later got a 3.5" lift and added larger tires. It's quicker accelerating than a Hummer H3, as tested by some guy and myself (on a closed course) a while back.

Favorite Features

*4.0 engine is reliable, torquey, and durable. Not the most powerful in the higher revs, but Jeep doesn't build race cars. *That same engine design originated in 1964. I'ts a proven design. *transmission is durable and takes abuse well. *solid axles are simple and durable *a real transfer case! How many "SUVs" these days have a real transfer case for 4x4 (or "all wheel" drive)? *17-22mpg highway is a tick under the wife's "latest and greatest" front drive suv. *Interior is 'trucky'. Not all rounded and wussified like so many vehicles these days.

Suggested Improvements

*a manual transmission (in my Jeep.... these were available factory) *front and rear dana 44s *lockers front and rear *yes I'm basically "building" a Cherokee Rubicon here... sounds a lot like a modern wrangler 4 door... hmmm... *a huge canvas sunroof like what's available on the current liberty.

This is my first car, and I NEVER will get rid of it!
By xrebelx2010

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I own a two door 1996 jeep cherokee sport (I know it shows 4dr 5 speed) but this thing is AMAZING! My cherokee is so much fun to drive and even though it has street tires and no lift at the moment, it can go straight through mud. I am currently building it up right now. I have a k&n cold air intake in it, brand new tune up kit, and a redone exhaust system. It's rugid, reliable, and can take a beating. I love my Jeep.

Favorite Features

Four wheel drive and its rigidness is what gets me. This thing can take any abuse I throw at it and it'll keep on truckin'.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it could get a tad bit more mpg. I get decent mpg, but with gas prices where they are, I'm wishing for more every single day.

1996 lifted cherokee country 4wd
By kraig

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

i have owned my jeep for elven years and it has been lifted for about 7 years, and have over 300,000 miles and running strong. the 4wd drive system is indestructible, as well as the 4.0 straight six, it wont ever give out and has never left me stranded other then a dead battery in minus 20 degree weather.

Favorite Features

i like the power and 4wd system, fuel mileage is good for a 4wd drive and being lifted i still get 21 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders cup holders, and i think a danna 44 would be nice to have

Why did they quit maiking these?
By Pigman

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Best car (reliability) I have ever owned. The cast iron inline 6 cylinder is amazing. This is the best snow car I have ever driven. I can do 55 mph on 4-6 inches of snow without even a wobble. It is a true snow car. I do all tune up, oil changes, and all maintenance on this vehicle. It is as simple as a 1960's car. Biggest mistake Chrysler made was to stop building these in 2001. The jeep liberty (successor) does not even hold a candle to it. All SUVs started with this design. It is a true on or off road SUV.

Favorite Features

On snow, ease of maintenance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I can not think of any.