Used 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

165,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By M. Oberstaedt

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Have owned the Jeep for 10 years and it's still fun to drive and knock down a Mustang or 2 with it's fantastic acceleration to 70MPH. (Speedo only goes up to 85MPH) Best engine that was ever put into a Jeep. Even my wife gets a kick out of it. Have only put in approx. $600 in repairs needed over the 10 years with the biggest expense being to replace the radiator with a new aluminum one with a lower pressure cap. This happened at 163,000 miles last month. Interior carrying room is also great and I remove the lower back seat and put the back down to get more room than that offered by the new SUV imitators. Wish they still made this one.

Great performing small SUV
By Susan

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport new. It is still running great. I have only had general maintenance and no major repairs. It is perfect for me to haul around my 5 dogs.The only complaints I have are 1. the cup holder was poorly placed when designed. It broke off twice and I replaced it once. At $12 a pop I decided to do without. 2.The radio died after 5 years and the replacement I got is nowhere near as simple to use. 3. I wish they had allowed for a little more leg room. Overall, this Jeep has been very good and reliable transportation and I will probably drive it another 10-12 years.