1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
See ya Cherokee
By velocerider on 07/02/12 15:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Took my Cherokee to the junkyard today. Bought it new in 1996. It's been in all environments, the coast, mountains, deserts and cities and performed like a champ. Replaced a water pump, brakes, tires and radio. The only thing that didn't work was the hydraulics on the rear hatch. Rescued stranded motorists, carried Christmas trees and was given to my son as his first car, after it had over 209K miles racked up on it. My inexperienced son ran into a F250 Ford dualie and tore the rear axle right off that truck. The Jeep suffered terrible front end damage. My son didn't have a scratch. I should be so lucky, as to go out as big a hero as that Jeep!

"Just right" four wheel drive
By amcjavelin74 on 04/08/12 06:42 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Cherokee back in 2006 with 180k miles on it, and drove it everyday for a couple of years. Now it sees limited use (towing, going off road, and hauling stuff around... hard miles) with just under 220k miles. Burns no oil, always starts, and when something does go wrong, I've always been able to fix it myself. While it was my daily driver, I added a 2 inch lift, and a year later got a 3.5" lift and added larger tires. It's quicker accelerating than a Hummer H3, as tested by some guy and myself (on a closed course) a while back.

This is my first car, and I NEVER will get rid of it!
By xrebelx2010 on 08/04/11 11:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I own a two door 1996 jeep cherokee sport (I know it shows 4dr 5 speed) but this thing is AMAZING! My cherokee is so much fun to drive and even though it has street tires and no lift at the moment, it can go straight through mud. I am currently building it up right now. I have a k&n cold air intake in it, brand new tune up kit, and a redone exhaust system. It's rugid, reliable, and can take a beating. I love my Jeep.

1996 lifted cherokee country 4wd
By kraig on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

i have owned my jeep for elven years and it has been lifted for about 7 years, and have over 300,000 miles and running strong. the 4wd drive system is indestructible, as well as the 4.0 straight six, it wont ever give out and has never left me stranded other then a dead battery in minus 20 degree weather.

Why did they quit maiking these?
By Pigman on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Best car (reliability) I have ever owned. The cast iron inline 6 cylinder is amazing. This is the best snow car I have ever driven. I can do 55 mph on 4-6 inches of snow without even a wobble. It is a true snow car. I do all tune up, oil changes, and all maintenance on this vehicle. It is as simple as a 1960's car. Biggest mistake Chrysler made was to stop building these in 2001. The jeep liberty (successor) does not even hold a candle to it. All SUVs started with this design. It is a true on or off road SUV.

I Miss it!
By golfrgirl on 07/31/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used w/141k miles - all original parts! YIKES - replaced just about everything - clutch, brakes, muffler, starter, cylinders... you get the idea! However, they were ALL factory original! Loved it! Sitting at a stop light last fall got hit by 2 other cars - head on & drivers side - total loss - but I walked away. Looking for same car 5-speed 4WD. Wish they still made them - my mechanic said they were one of the best cars EVER made & easy to work on too! Even cheaper to repair!

The Little Beast
By Bryan on 05/28/10 06:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep has been the most reliable auto I could imagine. I had to replace the water pump a couple times, the radiator, and have the intake cleaned once. Other than that, we are talking regular maintenance, and 219,000 miles later she still roars to life every morning. I have driven her on the beach, in the snow, out of holes (my fault), and every time, the Jeep has been up to the task. I say all of this and remind the reader that the Jeep 15 years ago is not the Jeep today. I think simplicity, quality mechanics and minimal electronics is the way to have an auto you can keep for many years.

4x4 jeep
By abster on 03/13/10 21:42 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 96 Cherokee back in 2006 with 70k. I have replaced a couple of sensors-1 was causing the car to die intermittently. It took about 4 different trips to the mechanic before they figured out what was wrong. They thought it was the o2 sensor but it wasn't. It was the-hmmm...can't remember sorry. I have also replaced the water pump, radiator, starter, brakes and had a couple of flushes. It has been running great since. Great 4WD & good pickup. Bad gas mileage- about 14 mpg. Took it up to 100mph+ & got some intense shake. The doors and locks could have been designed better. Had problems w/the a/c-vents stopped blowing due to a broken lever inside. Very bumpy ride.

Great Vehicle
By ShaggyisMBM on 03/06/10 21:14 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a Bronco, a Wrangler, a F- 250, and a Tacoma. This is by far the best overall. The straight 6 has almost as much power as the V8's in my 2 Fords. Before I put new tires on I often had trouble not spinning the tires in rain. For an SUV it is quick. The 4wd has never left me stuck. There is room for all I need. I have only had minor problems other than needing a new rear end. These are cheap and easy to find and well worth the money. You can find after market parts for it almost anywhere. It is easy to work on. It has classic styling and almost everything is practical. I recommend it to anyone. Great in snow, off road, and in traffic.

Tough and Reliable SUV
By cc on 01/28/10 11:32 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

It has been a very reliable vehicle, and still runs great at 219,000 miles. I used to drive it daily until it was hit from behind. Now I use it mainly for hauling and plan to let kids drive it eventually. I would not hesitate to buy another Cherokee. They are a great value for the money.