Used 1996 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

A Simple Cargo-Truck 4X4 (XJ) For A Simple Man
By Roger Abello

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

For a Simple Man Such As Me This 1996 2 Door Cherokee Jeep 4X4 5 Speed Manual Is Actually A Piece Of Equipment To Me. Why you may ask? Well I Bought this back in 2009 from a one owner he was in his late 60's, He ordered it new in 1996. He ordered it with the Sport Package: Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Roof Rack, Rear Window Defogger, as well as the wiper, Matching interior gray cargo cover, and Top of the line Aluminum Wheels with full size inside mounted matching spare tire. I Gave My Jeep a 2" Lift and instead of P225 R15 I raised it to P235 AT Wrangler tires. This Vehicle Looks Good can go anywhere on or off road incase of an emergency. The Jeep is just Smart enough that when it comes to smog or Diagnosis all it takes is a Plug In Less than 5min. Never has any Mechanical problems. The Jeep Has just Enough Electronics for proper engine and smog Operation which is all I ever wanted. No Electronics and solenoids to Fail it's all Manual ect : Pull Lever to activate 4X4 Not push buttons or solenoids or sensors to fail. Front and Rear Axials and not this independent suspension with CV Joints and boots to tear in dry sharp Brush or Rocks while exploring a place to make camp, Not to mention they are weaker than U Joints. Change the oil every 2,500 Miles, Coolant, and serpentine belt once a Year, Differential and Transmission as well as the Transfer case every 10,000 to be sure water contamination does not take hold to do any damage. K&N Air Filter (washable every 35,000 miles) saves money and gives some Xtra Power. Don't let your tank go below 1/4 tank and your Fuel pump in tank will stay cool and not fail. Simple and Cheap to perform Tune-Ups + Easy Access!!! Simple to perform all Maintenance (oil, trans, differ, transfer ect..... The advantages over others is Lights don't fade and oxidize and look bad, NO Parking Aids, as Far as Safety has Driver Air Bag, No Active Safety, No Navigation, No USB Ports, and No Entertainment. Just no nonsense piece of equipment down to earth vehicle Simple to Maintain and Operate AND No Nickel and Dime in you. This will be the Latest vehicle I will own. The New Autos across the Board are more computer and less control of your vehicle, than what once ruled our roadways and will continue on that trend. Complaints 1 It would have been nice to have the engineers to have more leg room up front my knees are up to bottom of dash and steering wheel. There is a question as to what happen to the Jeep Cherokee in 2002. This is what I found out in research is THE POWERS AT B IN CALIFORNIA told Chrysler Corp that the 4.0 liter has ran it's coarse and is out dated and that Chrysler needed to scrap the inline 6 for a V6 that will meet tighter emissions. So out with the Cherokee and in with Liberty. Anyway such as life I hope this helps to those who own or look to own a Jeep of that era.

See ya Cherokee
By velocerider

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Took my Cherokee to the junkyard today. Bought it new in 1996. It's been in all environments, the coast, mountains, deserts and cities and performed like a champ. Replaced a water pump, brakes, tires and radio. The only thing that didn't work was the hydraulics on the rear hatch. Rescued stranded motorists, carried Christmas trees and was given to my son as his first car, after it had over 209K miles racked up on it. My inexperienced son ran into a F250 Ford dualie and tore the rear axle right off that truck. The Jeep suffered terrible front end damage. My son didn't have a scratch. I should be so lucky, as to go out as big a hero as that Jeep!

4WD and 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine

Make more of them.

"Just right" four wheel drive
By amcjavelin74

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Cherokee back in 2006 with 180k miles on it, and drove it everyday for a couple of years. Now it sees limited use (towing, going off road, and hauling stuff around... hard miles) with just under 220k miles. Burns no oil, always starts, and when something does go wrong, I've always been able to fix it myself. While it was my daily driver, I added a 2 inch lift, and a year later got a 3.5" lift and added larger tires. It's quicker accelerating than a Hummer H3, as tested by some guy and myself (on a closed course) a while back.

*4.0 engine is reliable, torquey, and durable. Not the most powerful in the higher revs, but Jeep doesn't build race cars. *That same engine design originated in 1964. I'ts a proven design. *transmission is durable and takes abuse well. *solid axles are simple and durable *a real transfer case! How many "SUVs" these days have a real transfer case for 4x4 (or "all wheel" drive)? *17-22mpg highway is a tick under the wife's "latest and greatest" front drive suv. *Interior is 'trucky'. Not all rounded and wussified like so many vehicles these days.

*a manual transmission (in my Jeep.... these were available factory) *front and rear dana 44s *lockers front and rear *yes I'm basically "building" a Cherokee Rubicon here... sounds a lot like a modern wrangler 4 door... hmmm... *a huge canvas sunroof like what's available on the current liberty.

This is my first car, and I NEVER will get rid of it!
By xrebelx2010

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I own a two door 1996 jeep cherokee sport (I know it shows 4dr 5 speed) but this thing is AMAZING! My cherokee is so much fun to drive and even though it has street tires and no lift at the moment, it can go straight through mud. I am currently building it up right now. I have a k&n cold air intake in it, brand new tune up kit, and a redone exhaust system. It's rugid, reliable, and can take a beating. I love my Jeep.

Four wheel drive and its rigidness is what gets me. This thing can take any abuse I throw at it and it'll keep on truckin'.

I wish it could get a tad bit more mpg. I get decent mpg, but with gas prices where they are, I'm wishing for more every single day.

1996 lifted cherokee country 4wd
By kraig

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

i have owned my jeep for elven years and it has been lifted for about 7 years, and have over 300,000 miles and running strong. the 4wd drive system is indestructible, as well as the 4.0 straight six, it wont ever give out and has never left me stranded other then a dead battery in minus 20 degree weather.

i like the power and 4wd system, fuel mileage is good for a 4wd drive and being lifted i still get 21 mpg.

cup holders cup holders, and i think a danna 44 would be nice to have