1995 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: 170k and still going

1995 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

170k and still going
By bmv on

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep in 1999 with 63k miles. I've put over 100k miles on it. It's been cross country twice, up and down the East coast and throughout the Southwest. It is very utilitarian, harsh over rough roads, but it handles better you would expect--very nimble. As it aged I replaced multiple water pumps, a radiator, wheel hubs, a starter--but overall it has been pretty resilient. Some creaks and rattles and the paint and some of the exterior bits are fading, but it always starts. Worst problems: oil leaks consistent and difficult to fix, driver door upper hinge broke off, lower engine mount broke around 90k miles.

Fun to drive everyday for what is basically a utility vehicle. Good cargo room. Fairly comfortable seats on long drives. Dependable.

More driver leg room. I am 6 feet and have trouble straightening my legs. Improved design, some design quirks (like the door check strap being too long) lead to problems with extended use. Cupholders, add on cupholders are useless. More rear seat room.