Used 1995 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1995 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Solid
By leben

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep 2 years ago after having a variety of cars with power everything that were nothing but trouble and expensive to replace. My jeep has power nothing, and I love it. Nothing breaks, nothing squeaks or rattles. Every time I turn the key it fires right up. It hasn't let me down in the snow, rain, mud, or rocks. My only repairs in 25000 miles of driving have been new front discs and new tires (expected). Simple enough to make repairs by myself.

Favorite Features

Powerful, Capable, Dependable. Excellent power and small footprint. Self-Engine-diagnosis

Suggested Improvements

Standard cruise control Improve economy

Wife's car
By Nancy's husband

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought for my wife, she loved it, I didn't. Reliable, solid little car. Not roomy enough for me (6'3"). No complaints on mechanical side but too small to travel in. I had a Suburban and she the Cherokee Country, sold the Suburban and gave the Jeep to my son and compromised on a Tahoe. The only thing she likes on the Tahoe is the heated seats. Looked at a used 2000 Classic for her this morning.

Favorite Features

4.0L engine,drivetrain,looks,reliablity,accel eration.

Suggested Improvements

Interior too small for larger people.

Goes the distance
By jsb

1995 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV

My Cherokee has 181,000 miles on it and has been one of the very best vehicles I have ever owned. Besides regular oil changes and tires it has had 3 front brake jobs, 1 rear brake job, replaced the airconditioning condensor and radiator, 2 exhaust systems, 1 set of front axel universal joints and a couple of batteries. You couldn't ask for better. It handles great, is just super in bad weather with the 4WD and has never let me down.

Favorite Features

4.0L Engine

Suggested Improvements

More sound proofing.

True utility and reliability
By Ben

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been my only car for 6 years, bought it in '99 with 60k on it, now it is nearing 150k. Never regretted the purchase. Driven across the country twice pulling a trailer. Survived 2 Boston winters. All problems have been minor (water pump, thermostat, radiator). Not the most luxurious vehicle, bumpy ride, but it cruises on the freeway and gets good mileage for an SUV with 4WD. Biggest problem was a broken lower mounting bolt. It had to be drilled and was fairly expensive. This happened around 95k. Also, there was a brake recall for cars sold in the Salt Belt, though since my car was originally sold in California the recall was not honored.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Easy to fix. Utility, can tow and can cram a lot into the back. Ride is great for long trips. Good power for passing.

Suggested Improvements

Road and wind noise. Engine vibration. rear leg room. Really, many of these things are to be expected. It's a Jeep, not a Lexus. Hard to beat for the price, in my opinion.

170k and still going
By bmv

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep in 1999 with 63k miles. I've put over 100k miles on it. It's been cross country twice, up and down the East coast and throughout the Southwest. It is very utilitarian, harsh over rough roads, but it handles better you would expect--very nimble. As it aged I replaced multiple water pumps, a radiator, wheel hubs, a starter--but overall it has been pretty resilient. Some creaks and rattles and the paint and some of the exterior bits are fading, but it always starts. Worst problems: oil leaks consistent and difficult to fix, driver door upper hinge broke off, lower engine mount broke around 90k miles.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive everyday for what is basically a utility vehicle. Good cargo room. Fairly comfortable seats on long drives. Dependable.

Suggested Improvements

More driver leg room. I am 6 feet and have trouble straightening my legs. Improved design, some design quirks (like the door check strap being too long) lead to problems with extended use. Cupholders, add on cupholders are useless. More rear seat room.