Used 1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

good jeep
By slunsford

1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV

I bought my 1995 Jeep Cherokee from my boyfriend a couple of years ago, after he had it for about 3 years. It currently has 237000 miles and still running strong. We have had to replace minor tings along the way, such as, battery, hoses, maybe the water pump (cant remember for sure because Ive had a lot of jeeps!). It leaks a little bit of oil, but I could get that fixed, I just havent yet. Everyday I get in to ride, I wonder how it is still holding on, but the engine is STRONG! Never had ANY transmission problems, shifts fine! My car does have body damage that I have chose not to fix, but that does not affect the way she drives so Im fine with it!

Favorite Features

(cont from above)..This summer the AC has started to blow very weak, I think something is going to go out soon, and sometimes it will not work at all, but I think it is an easy repair! Great vehicle all and all! strong engine, reliability, style for an older vehicle, low cost to maintain

Suggested Improvements

MPG, I average 16, but my boyfriend has gotten 21 before! Better seats, front and rear, because they are a little uncomfortable, stronger AC

I Can't live without my JEEP!
By njacks

1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

When I first bought my Jeep, I was so happy and knew that this was the ride for me. I bought it with 22 inch wheels on it. I took them off and put factory on it. I have drove in mud, snow, sleet and the thing still runs like a PRO. I did tear up the differential and I had to replace the U-Joints twice. I have a few leaks and the brakes stink. The body needs paint. But other then that, the Jeep is strong tough and will pull anything. I would buy two or three more if I had the money. But I love my Jeep Cherokee sport, there is no Jeep out there like it. They should keep making Jeep Sports.

Favorite Features

The body is my favorite feature. I love how it is shaped square.

Suggested Improvements

Wow! the 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport didn't have cup holders anywhere. I had to get one made for it. The drivetrain needs more improvements U-Joints, wheel bearing go out, leaf springs needs work.

Best Jeep EVER!
By CW

1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

These are the best Jeeps that Jeep ever made hands down! My Cherokee now has 416,000 miles on it and the only parts it's needed are a CPS (crank position sensor), Neutral switch for the tranny, 2 alternators and a rebuild for the transfer case because of some leaks. It only fussed about starting one time because the CPS was going bad, but it did start. I've been on top of the maintenance from day one, fluid changes and such.

Favorite Features

Classic style, no frills, parts are everywhere, Powerful 4.0 6 cyl, 416,000 miles and it still gets 17-20 mpg, has never let me down.... ever!

Suggested Improvements

Start making it again..... but don't change it. Diesel would be nice!

170k and still going
By bmv

1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep in 1999 with 63k miles. I've put over 100k miles on it. It's been cross country twice, up and down the East coast and throughout the Southwest. It is very utilitarian, harsh over rough roads, but it handles better you would expect--very nimble. As it aged I replaced multiple water pumps, a radiator, wheel hubs, a starter--but overall it has been pretty resilient. Some creaks and rattles and the paint and some of the exterior bits are fading, but it always starts. Worst problems: oil leaks consistent and difficult to fix, driver door upper hinge broke off, lower engine mount broke around 90k miles.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive everyday for what is basically a utility vehicle. Good cargo room. Fairly comfortable seats on long drives. Dependable.

Suggested Improvements

More driver leg room. I am 6 feet and have trouble straightening my legs. Improved design, some design quirks (like the door check strap being too long) lead to problems with extended use. Cupholders, add on cupholders are useless. More rear seat room.

Great all around vehicle
By Bigfoot

1995 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Jeep nearly 5 years now. Have put about 50,000 miles on it. Really like this for a hunting vehicle. Enough room in the back with the back seat folded down, and also plenty of room for 4-5 people if needed. The only repairs I have needed to make other than the normal ones are I had to have the front CV joints (that's what I call them) replaced. There is one just inside each tire. Also had to have the passenger side wheel bearing replaced. I have stayed up pretty well on the scheduled maintenance of my Jeep. I'm sure that has helped.

Favorite Features

The fact that it is a 4WD Jeep. Can take it anywhere I need to go. Have driven it on some pretty shoddy roads in the woods, and it crawls right along through anything. Have had other 4 WDs, but the Jeep just seems to have that extra grip.

Suggested Improvements

Can't improve on a vehicle no longer made, but if it was I would suggest the rear doors be made a bit larger. Other than that I really like this vehicle.