Used 1994 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1994 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Can't beat it!
By Aaron

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Can't say enough good things about the Jeep Cherokee. This is the 2nd one I've owned. After 233,000 miles this thing still has enough power to get your blood moving! The tranny and the t-case are still in great working order. Coupled with a set of bfg all terrains, it's pretty much unstoppable. It's been reliable, safe, and comfy. The a/c still works too! Jeep should have never dropped this design. The liberty, compass, and the like are nothing more than fancy Jeep look-a-like station wagons. Long live the xj!

Favorite Features

4.0 straight six, A-4 tranny, solid axles, great T-case. All put together it's bulletproof.

Suggested Improvements

A cup holder, maybe.

Many miles - cheaper than new
By Gary S

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Jeep at 175k and now 240k. Blew the transfer case chain at 220k. Getting some oil consumption now, 1qt every 1k (acceptable). Starts fine, runs great, no leaks, general maintenance done and love the vehicle. Body in good shape, considering new motor and trans rebuild when necessary. Sorry, keep your cash for this clunker!

Favorite Features

4-Wheel drive. Good, strong dependable in-line six.

They dont make them like they used to...
By rjfster

1994 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV

For an suv that has 235,000 miles on it, this thing is amazing. I bought it in June for $250 from a co-workers family member. In total i put about $1000 worth of work into it, 4 new tires, fuel pump, catalytic converter, brakes and tranny output seal. This thing is fast, it blows away my friend's explorer, and gives a Ford Probe and Honda Civic a run for its money. Steering is a little loose, but what do you expect for a truck that has that sort of mileage and is 14 years old. My only regret to it is not having 4x4. I have had it packed to the gills with equipment, and you barely notice its there. Lot of power superior reliability!

Favorite Features

Bulletproof I-6, Horsepower, reliability, appearance, cargo room, comfortable on a 4 hour drive.

Suggested Improvements

Wish mine was 4x4. rear main seal is a common problem, mine leaks a little oil, but not horrifically. Really rock solid truck, not much i can say bad about it, never left me stranded!

Amazing
By Geoff

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it with 260,000 miles on it in Florida and put 5000 miles on it with no issues. Usual maintenance for it but other than that, best car i have owned, never lets me down. Love having 4x4 and everything but the stereo setup and comfort of driving it is the best part about it.

Favorite Features

4wd, spacious, comfortable, good on gas, powerful I6.

Most Fun Ive Had In A Truck
By cherokeeguy94

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I love my jeep. I go out of my way to drive through puddles and over objects now with this thing. You cant help but to have fun with this vehicle. Almost seems like a giant toy. I'm upset only because I purchased it in Alaska and the road salt ate my floor pan away pretty much but theres nothing I could do about that until I find a new body. It's definitely a project vehicle from the condition I bought it in but everything seems extremely easy to work on so far. I just love it.

Favorite Features

It's got more then enough power and even for only being two wheel drive its been through more mud then a'lot of four wheel drives see and makes it through still.

Suggested Improvements

Of course the dumb cup holders which I just took off because they kept falling. I also don't like the spare being in the back but thats going to solved in a few with an exterior rack for it soon.