1992 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Sad to Let Go After Nine Years
By SadtoLetGo on 04/20/05 02:15 AM (PDT)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Out grew the Jeep with four kids, just bought a truck. With the 4.0L HO engine and the 5 speed manual this car was just plain fun and had more than enough power because it is light with the unibody construction. Towed a 25 foot boat that weighed 5,000 lbs and it did okay ... plenty of power, just a little short for the length of the boat. Very reliable and what parts I did replace were reasonably priced. City mileage was okay at about 12.5 - 13.5 mpg, but highway mileage was good at about 21.5 mpg. Engine still runs very strong and the transmission hasn't missed a beat. Parts replaced: clutch at about 85,000 miles, exhaust at about 105,000 miles, water pump ($45!) at 110,000 miles.

Great Vehicle!
By Cpt439 on 02/04/05 21:06 PM (PST)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned mine since it was new, almost 13 years. The only major repair was replacing the transfer case, which probably would have lasted with more regular fluid changes. Been through several fuel pumps and mufflers, and a couple radiators.

Its a Jeep thing
By Helicop on 01/31/05 17:25 PM (PST)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep as my first vehicle and I love it. I put a 2" lift on and 30X9.5" tires and love the off-road capability. I live in Michigan and this thing crawls through the snow without a problem. I've driven on some really bad roads already in my driving experiences and the Jeep handles superbly. I would recommend a Jeep to anyone who wants safety/reliability and fair power.

Versatile and fun!
By fitwilsons on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We have loved our Jeep since we first bought it. It has made four trips across the country with no problems (twice towing a U-Haul). The few repairs on it have been relatively minor. The serpentine belt, a cracked head, a window that doesn't want to roll back up (needs manual assistance) and a crack in the exhaust manifold. Every time we think of upgrading to a newer SUV (with the third seat) we can't bear to part with the Jeep. We'll probably keep it until the wheels fall of!

It's a Jeep thing
By Helicop88 on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep. I love the style and it is fairly comfortable for the off- road abilities it posesses. As long as you have the 4.0L it has awesome power and can take any other SUV out there in it's year range. I installed a 2" lift in mine and put some 235/75 Bridgestone Duelers on; it goes anywhere. I will have a lot of fun this winter pulling my friends cars out of the snow.

Jeep
By Bobwi on 05/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the Jeep. Feel very safe.

Its a Jeep thing
By mr.shawn on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Always wanted a Cherokee. The price was right and I bought it. Its fun to drive and has good visibility. Plenty of power, almost too much on wet roads. I wish it had 4wd. The 4.0L engine is great, and the AT never misses a shift. It doesnt have the most refined ride, but you have to remember, Its a JEEP.

My favorite
By Searcher on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Even though I have a new (2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport fully loaded) Jeep sitting in the driveway, the 1992 Laredo is sitting in the Garage. It's pretty much my baby, it's a manual transmission but that just adds to the fun of driving it. The worst mistake I made was expecting the same quality in the newer model! This one is far superior to the newer model. It does have the telltale oil leak, but never even enough to make a difference on the dipstick! It's still in excellent condition and runs like a dream. I may give the new Jeep to the teenagers and keep the old one for myself.

it,s a jeep thing
By master of detail on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

is a fun and good car i love it

Reliable
By Jeeper2004 on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car, starts up even when freezing cold outside, the only problem I have had are oil leakage and transfer case leakage. But for the miles it is in excellent shape and runs great!