Used 1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Gift that keeps on giving!!!
By Jazz

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given a 1992 Jeep Loredo 4x4 4dr. My world is one of Bad luck and disaster. But this lil' sucker has been a charm. I am the prior owner of 2 Grand wagoneers. An 87 and an 89. This is the only 4x4 I have enjoyed since. 175,890 miles and going very strong.

Fits 31 inch tires under it without lifting. Great minimalist cabin for real 4x4ing. 4.0 high output really means High Output. Powers like a v8. Excellent acceleration and easy on the fly 4wheel drive.

Lockers stock. Gear that tranny instead of bands for an even longer life, if that were possible. And Yes, Cup holders. Higher breather inlet would be nice. And hey, as long as we're building a dream car, SUPER CHARGE IT!!!

1992 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
By Ben61

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this Jeep Cherokee and even though it has high miles on it, I still got it. I have had to replace the front axel u-joints and bearings. I put in a new 7lb radiator cap since the old one was leaking. My wife has helped me to find a used drivers seat for it and we like this tough Jeep. I will replace the mirrors and get the cup holders for the console. I like the 4WD and tow package. It will be in the family until it quits. Saved it from a future CFC since it was a trade in at the dealer. Like the inline 6 with 4.0L engine. Room inside and no complaints. Ride's good and dependable. Will upgrade parts as needed. All manual and no power seats or doors. Did not want them anyway.

ride and interior. Exterior looks. 4WD and Tow Package. In-line 6 cyl. Power and gear ratio. Rugged features and visability.

None except the optional cup holders for the console which should have been standard.

Won't quit!
By Ken

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought with 111,000 miles on it in 2002. Little did the owner know that it was just broken in! 4-liter engine is extremely reliable, except for an oil leak and some oil blow-back to the air filter. I like selectable 4WD to keep gas mileage up when it's not needed. Just took it camping in Vermont in 2009 with 233K miles on it, 4 kayaks on top and a 2x5 foot basket hanging on the back. Air shocks in the rear really helped.

Car is very nimble, with short wheelbase making it fun to drive. Reliability is outstanding. Front seats remarkably comfortable with excellent "tush" factor (cloth seats).

Yes cup holders are missed. It's no fun as an adult in the back seat-- that's after you manage to get in. Only fair rear visibility due to smallness of side mirrors. Had to replace driver window motor after 200K. Handling/tires is shaky-- improved greatly by replacing 245s with Michelin 200s.

Can't part with it
By Fish

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has taken me over plenty of bad roads, snowy summits, and bad relationships!! 206k miles and still going strong. No major repairs ever. Just the usual stuff. Engine is bullet proof. Cup holders and a split back seat would be the only improvement. Not important enough to trade in yet. Can't imagine it being destroyed with the cash for clunkers program. It hauls my bikes, skis, and me to all of my fun weekends. Big enough and fits in my garage better than the newer SUVs.

Simple, classic look and big enough to haul my toys. Always reliable and handles snow, ice, mud and bumpy back roads well. Great clearance.

Cupholders and split back seat ... but I'm sure the new ones have that.

92 Cherokee Laredo
By cyerby2326

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought the Jeep with about 150k miles on it. Now has about 230k. Still has original motor, trans, a/c components and many other things. Had to replace tie rods and ball joints at 200k and other minor stuff along the way. I love it. I have since bought A 98 Cherokee. I love it too.

You cant break it. It should be broke the places i take it. Very reliable

A better rear end with positive traction. CUP HOLDERS!!!!!!