Used 1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

1992 Jeep Cherokee - OUTSTANDING vehicle!
By Matt Shepard

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My family had a 1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 4.0L Inline 6-cylinder engine. The Jeep had tons of rust all around the frame, but that's okay because it doesn't affect how the car runs (they were notorious for rusting out anyway). However, there was a hole in the gas tank due to rust (that's one reason why we got rid of it) It was an awesome winter vehicle; The 4WD system helps you get through anything, including deep snow. Sometimes in the winter when the air was extremely cold, like <10 degrees, and the vehicle was getting close to 25 years old, it didn't really want to start but it always did. It held up so well until it encountered electrical problems at the beginning of this year. It wouldn't start. We tried a handful of different solutions. Nothing worked so we ended up selling it to the mechanic for $400 (It was only worth $500 when it DID start).

If you ever get a chance to buy an XJ, don't hesitate! You won't regret it.

Best 4X4 Ever
By scottsal

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 2dr SUV 4WD

I own a 1992 Jeep cherokee Laredo with 210,000 miles on it. It has been by far the most dependable, tough car I have ever owned.
Although now 20 years old, everything on it still works perfect. Easy to work on, fun to drive. My only complaint would be I need a bit more legroom. But on road and off, this is the best made 4X4 ever. I live in colorado and it seems like every 3rd car is a cherokee.

Dependable, tough, makes off-roading seem too easy!

More front leg room.

The thing is a BEAST
By Jeep Lover

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I abuse my Jeep. Abuse! I bought it with 125k on it, and it is almost at 170. I haul well over 1000 lbs of wood in the back on a weekly basis, so much that the exhaust nearly drags on the ground. In 45k miles, I have only replaced the starter, headlight switch, and tires. My front seat is held up by a log, the paint is faded to crap, but the 5 speed and 4.0 is a beast. Never been stuck ever, even when hauling 1000 lbs of wood through the woods!

5 speed + 4wd + 190hp = fun ANYWHERE you want.

Best First Car Possible
By Handyman

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I inherited this car from my mother a little over a year ago after basically living in it for 17 years. It has had a few major replacement parts but overall it has a low average repair cost. It currently broke 200k miles on it and aside from the back turn signals going out for a few days it has no problems. I couldn't recommend a better long term car especially if you are interested in hauling anything large and still being able to fit friends or family in the car with you.

4WD option for in the winter in Minnesota.

Cup holders are not one size fits all, but that's really the only problem.

Everyone should own one
By rob

1992 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

"beast" will go anywhere in anything. timeless look will pull anything will not die or get stuck for "long"