Used 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

The thing is a BEAST
By Jeep Lover

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I abuse my Jeep. Abuse! I bought it with 125k on it, and it is almost at 170. I haul well over 1000 lbs of wood in the back on a weekly basis, so much that the exhaust nearly drags on the ground. In 45k miles, I have only replaced the starter, headlight switch, and tires. My front seat is held up by a log, the paint is faded to crap, but the 5 speed and 4.0 is a beast. Never been stuck ever, even when hauling 1000 lbs of wood through the woods!

Favorite Features

5 speed + 4wd + 190hp = fun ANYWHERE you want.

Can't let'er go
By prp

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Simply: I could buy a new vehicle, but I won't until I have to.

Favorite Features

Endurance, dependability, versatility, practicality.

Suggested Improvements

It ain't broke, but they tried to fix it anyway by replacing it. If they could only make them again!

Sad to Let Go After Nine Years
By SadtoLetGo

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Out grew the Jeep with four kids, just bought a truck. With the 4.0L HO engine and the 5 speed manual this car was just plain fun and had more than enough power because it is light with the unibody construction. Towed a 25 foot boat that weighed 5,000 lbs and it did okay ... plenty of power, just a little short for the length of the boat. Very reliable and what parts I did replace were reasonably priced. City mileage was okay at about 12.5 - 13.5 mpg, but highway mileage was good at about 21.5 mpg. Engine still runs very strong and the transmission hasn't missed a beat. Parts replaced: clutch at about 85,000 miles, exhaust at about 105,000 miles, water pump ($45!) at 110,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Engine is AWESOME! Can't beat straight sixes. 5 Speed manual is AWESOME! Highway mileage is very good. Utility is very good, goes anywhere with little fuss. It has real metal bumpers and not that expensive plastic junk. Doesn't rust. Fun to drive with the 5 speed. Good towing ability.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back to the Jeep lineup! A little bigger on the inside would have been nice. Can't think of anything else and I am sorry to have the sell it.

it,s a jeep thing
By master of detail

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

is a fun and good car i love it

The Best
By Ed and susan

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

We have 260000 miles on our Cherokee and were very sad when Jeep went to only Libertys for the back country. We have gone places that most "normal" folks would not go. Now that we are planning to get a new vehichle, we are pushing it to the limit and have found it will do more than we ever dreamed. We have never been stuck and we have been in snow, mud, rivers, sand, and rocks.

Favorite Features

dependable wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

can't think of anything