Used 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

reliable, efficient, powerful
By Gordon Lanning

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

Purchased my Jeep new. Change the oil every 3 thousand miles using Mobil 1. At 13 thousand miles under warranty head gasket replaced, known issue for some serial numbers. At 161 thousand still has original transmission, ball joints, tie rods, brake parts. Replaced radiator twice until I got smart and got brass tanks and brass core radiator. I have replaced AC expansion valve, starter and steering column. Have broken drivers seat but I am a big ole boy also. Do your maintenance, it pays. I would take this vehicle any where from coast to coast or border to border and not think twice or worry.

Favorite Features

Go anywhere, paint looks good, alloy wheels, will tow 5000 lbs with out overheating. Great AC, heat, love unique oem stereo AM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy, never use plastic on a radiator neck overflow tube, if that little part fails you have to replace entire radiator. Longer lasting crimps on all rubber hose connections, steering, tranny, AC.

love hate relationship
By habsitual

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

Okay, let me say I love my Jeep. But, I've had some overheating problems since day 1. Replaced radiator and components, I still have to get a radiator flush a couple times every summer. I'm told the engine block has internal corrosion causing the blockage. I've got 200,000 miles on my Jeep and can't really complain although buyers should be aware there's going to be upkeep but there's plenty of wrecks to pick from and aftermarket parts. It's loud too and a bit of a gas hog. It's going to be hard to drive something else though, they don't make them like this anymore.

Favorite Features

Great power/acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Not much point suggesting improvements on a 92 Jeep!

Solid hauler
By EJ in LA

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I've had my Jeep for about 10 years and have been very happy with it. It has moved so much stuff that its really paid off.

Favorite Features

Good looks and great engine. Its been a very reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Back doors are hard to enter and its a little loud.