1991 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: Bullet Proof

1991 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Bullet Proof
By steelheader on

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Cherokee back in October 1991 and 17 years later I still enjoy driving it. Took my honeymoon in it to Colorado, I brought my 3 kids home in it from the hospital and countless fishing trips were taken in it. Three years ago, I gave her a fresh coat of paint. My wife can't understand why I continue to keep driving it, but she isn't a Jeep owner. Low maintenance, drives like a tank in the snow and runs smooth. Today, I still see early 90s Cherokees on the road and they are either great looking or beaten up.

Jeep got it right with the straight 6 and it's a shame, because the newer Cherokees are inferior to it. Reliable and runs great. Very easy to work on. After 17 years, I had to replace the 4X4 axle joints. Everything else was basic maintenance.

Stiff ride, not great fuel economy for a V-6, seats are uncomfortable when driving long distances, gauges are hard to see at night (poor lighting)