Used 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1991 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Great Car!!
By Jacob

1991 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first car that i've owned, and I think that it was the best decision I could have taken. Although I wasn't very pleased with the exterior, but I fell in love with the reliability this car has to offer. The only thing i have done to this car is the essentials(oil, brake, and tire changes.) It runs great on freeways at 70 and above.

Favorite Features

runs great at 70mph and above. very good engine(270,000) and it is still runs like a champ.

Suggested Improvements

mileage per gallon. I live in the dessert and it sometimes heats up, but it has never left me on the road.

Hang on to it Baby
By Tom Newman

1991 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1991 jeep from a gal who used to drive it everyday. When she sold it to me it had a miss in the engine after looking it over I suddenly realized that the only thing that was wrong was the rotor tips were rusted. This vehicle has been extremely dependable and 275,000 miles on it. I also had a jeep liberty I bought in 2004 new and had more trouble with that suv than you could shake a stick at. I eventually sold it back to the dealer . It just goes to show ya that it's hard to beat the older jeeps and they were made back in the days when quality really meant something and customers were important to a business.

Favorite Features

I like the interior . And the dependability of the engine.

Suggested Improvements

I don't see how you can improve on the best unless you can come up with a better cup holder .

Bullet Proof
By steelheader

1991 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Cherokee back in October 1991 and 17 years later I still enjoy driving it. Took my honeymoon in it to Colorado, I brought my 3 kids home in it from the hospital and countless fishing trips were taken in it. Three years ago, I gave her a fresh coat of paint. My wife can't understand why I continue to keep driving it, but she isn't a Jeep owner. Low maintenance, drives like a tank in the snow and runs smooth. Today, I still see early 90s Cherokees on the road and they are either great looking or beaten up.

Favorite Features

Jeep got it right with the straight 6 and it's a shame, because the newer Cherokees are inferior to it. Reliable and runs great. Very easy to work on. After 17 years, I had to replace the 4X4 axle joints. Everything else was basic maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Stiff ride, not great fuel economy for a V-6, seats are uncomfortable when driving long distances, gauges are hard to see at night (poor lighting)

Love it!
By California

1991 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Cherokee as an "emergency purchase" when my Camry decided it was done with me, and I absolutely love it! Had to replace the brakes about 2 months after purchase and fix an oil leak about 7 months after that, but overall I really do enjoy this car. Has most of the features of a modern car (ie: power everything and good a/c. Mine came with CD player, keyless entry, and an alarm as well) and the durability that Jeeps are known for.

Favorite Features

Simplicity. Take it around town blasting your fav song or go camping Rubicon style, it handles well either way.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. Stronger brakes.

Vic's first but not last Cherokee 4X4
By VIC

1991 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the body style -- '91, fun to drive on or off road. The 4.0L is quite peppy, no problem towing even on steep grades. The heater will bake bread, even with the windows down. The air conditioner works well too. All in all ... I'll buy another!

Favorite Features

It's a Cherokee ... what else needs to be said.

Suggested Improvements

Use a better windshield sealant, Mine leaks when it rains. The clearcoat chips off too much, needs better paint.