Used 1991 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

greatest vehicle ever made
By Lucas Baker

1991 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

bought this Jeep cherokee 4.0 4wd from a junk yard when i was in high school. After just a few hours and few hundred dollars replacing some essential components (brake booster) I have not had a problem with it since. I have done a lot of work to it, but that was my choice, not mandated by the vehicle, mostly just for fun. It drives great and shifts like new even with 200000 miles on it. Ive taken it through some serious terrain and never once been stuck. Also, if youre the type that likes to mod out your 4wd trail vehicle, like I do (even though this car is also my daily driver) then an old 90's jeep cherokee is the best car to buy. Easy to work on yourself, lots of support from forums and simple to understand. Its reliable, easy, and still a blast to drive even after 25 years of use.

My 91 will run forever
By Stephen

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The only cons about my Jeep are the lack of millage,also installing a new fuel pump is a bit tricky.Other than that I can go practically anywhere in it.I have driven it in the Desert the Mountains,even through Mud.Its hard to stop a Jeep.Overall its been one of the best overall vehicles I have ever owned,and I intend on keeping it till it dies,or I do.

Great Car!!
By Jacob

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first car that i've owned, and I think that it was the best decision I could have taken. Although I wasn't very pleased with the exterior, but I fell in love with the reliability this car has to offer. The only thing i have done to this car is the essentials(oil, brake, and tire changes.) It runs great on freeways at 70 and above.

runs great at 70mph and above. very good engine(270,000) and it is still runs like a champ.

mileage per gallon. I live in the dessert and it sometimes heats up, but it has never left me on the road.

Hang on to it Baby
By Tom Newman

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1991 jeep from a gal who used to drive it everyday. When she sold it to me it had a miss in the engine after looking it over I suddenly realized that the only thing that was wrong was the rotor tips were rusted. This vehicle has been extremely dependable and 275,000 miles on it. I also had a jeep liberty I bought in 2004 new and had more trouble with that suv than you could shake a stick at. I eventually sold it back to the dealer . It just goes to show ya that it's hard to beat the older jeeps and they were made back in the days when quality really meant something and customers were important to a business.

I like the interior . And the dependability of the engine.

I don't see how you can improve on the best unless you can come up with a better cup holder .

Bullet Proof
By steelheader

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Cherokee back in October 1991 and 17 years later I still enjoy driving it. Took my honeymoon in it to Colorado, I brought my 3 kids home in it from the hospital and countless fishing trips were taken in it. Three years ago, I gave her a fresh coat of paint. My wife can't understand why I continue to keep driving it, but she isn't a Jeep owner. Low maintenance, drives like a tank in the snow and runs smooth. Today, I still see early 90s Cherokees on the road and they are either great looking or beaten up.

Jeep got it right with the straight 6 and it's a shame, because the newer Cherokees are inferior to it. Reliable and runs great. Very easy to work on. After 17 years, I had to replace the 4X4 axle joints. Everything else was basic maintenance.

Stiff ride, not great fuel economy for a V-6, seats are uncomfortable when driving long distances, gauges are hard to see at night (poor lighting)