1991 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Great Car!!
By Jacob on 11/02/09 21:03 PM (PST)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first car that i've owned, and I think that it was the best decision I could have taken. Although I wasn't very pleased with the exterior, but I fell in love with the reliability this car has to offer. The only thing i have done to this car is the essentials(oil, brake, and tire changes.) It runs great on freeways at 70 and above.

Hang on to it Baby
By Tom Newman on 08/26/08 04:55 AM (PDT)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1991 jeep from a gal who used to drive it everyday. When she sold it to me it had a miss in the engine after looking it over I suddenly realized that the only thing that was wrong was the rotor tips were rusted. This vehicle has been extremely dependable and 275,000 miles on it. I also had a jeep liberty I bought in 2004 new and had more trouble with that suv than you could shake a stick at. I eventually sold it back to the dealer . It just goes to show ya that it's hard to beat the older jeeps and they were made back in the days when quality really meant something and customers were important to a business.

Bullet Proof
By steelheader on 06/18/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Cherokee back in October 1991 and 17 years later I still enjoy driving it. Took my honeymoon in it to Colorado, I brought my 3 kids home in it from the hospital and countless fishing trips were taken in it. Three years ago, I gave her a fresh coat of paint. My wife can't understand why I continue to keep driving it, but she isn't a Jeep owner. Low maintenance, drives like a tank in the snow and runs smooth. Today, I still see early 90s Cherokees on the road and they are either great looking or beaten up.

Love it!
By California on 05/23/07 19:31 PM (PDT)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Cherokee as an "emergency purchase" when my Camry decided it was done with me, and I absolutely love it! Had to replace the brakes about 2 months after purchase and fix an oil leak about 7 months after that, but overall I really do enjoy this car. Has most of the features of a modern car (ie: power everything and good a/c. Mine came with CD player, keyless entry, and an alarm as well) and the durability that Jeeps are known for.

Not too reliable
By Andrew on 02/01/06 14:17 PM (PST)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Not too happy with the Jeep, transmission is horrible, too tall of rear end gears so there is no power in 3rd gear, no top end. At 120k and replaced ball joints, CV joints, thermostat and housing, power steering pump, and now having electrical problems.

Vic's first but not last Cherokee 4X4
By VIC on 01/07/06 21:07 PM (PST)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the body style -- '91, fun to drive on or off road. The 4.0L is quite peppy, no problem towing even on steep grades. The heater will bake bread, even with the windows down. The air conditioner works well too. All in all ... I'll buy another!

It's A Jeep Thang!
By Jeepster on 11/11/05 00:09 AM (PST)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned Jeeps since the day I started driving. This one is GREAT! Comfort, reliability and durability -- what more could you ask for. At 14,800 miles it's still running strong. It is definitely the best for any outdoors person, and stylish enough to take it out on the town. Pure pulling power, so don't be afraid to hook up your trailer or boat. Smooth ride on the highways, but remember to replace the shocks when needed. If you can find a clean one don't hesitate to buy it.

Back when...
By ADVNTURR on 06/03/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

1991 Jeep Cherokee 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving my '91 since I bought it in 1998 and have been averaging about 13k a year on it. It is tough and doesn't ride like a car because it was built how an SUV should be built. Great handling on- and off-road with comfortable seating for 4 normal sized adults. Good power out of the 4.0L I6 and the AW-4 automatic has proven itself as well. The '91 is an easy year to modify with plenty of donor vehicles from '91-'96 and works great for what it was built for. I plan on keeping mine until I really kill it and then I plan on fixing it so I can keep on driving it. Well worth a reasonable price to purchase one.

Reliable SUV
By Reliable SUV on 01/01/05 22:27 PM (PST)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this car for 11 years. The only significant repair was a radiator at 115,000 miles ($800). This has been an excellent vehicle from a reliability standpoint. With the 6 cylinder engine, power is adequate. My only issue is that it rides like an SUV (bouncy ride), but rides great on the freeway. There is exceptional interior space for passengers and cargo, especially considering its short wheel base (which makes it easy to park). It also has a strong a/c. From speaking with other owners (1991 model year), the '91 is either very reliable or constantly in need of repairs. The bad ones are mostly off the road by now. Most 1991's still on the road are likely good cars.

Love these Jeeps
By Fatherkey on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have to say, that I have owned some nice cars in the past, but I would be happy to trade all the creature comforts of the higher priced cars just for the reliability of this jeep. The 4.0 has enough power to get over/around what I need it to, when minor repairs are needed they are easy and don't cost much... Not many vehicles can be driven over 220,000 miles and still look forward to a long life to come. THIS ONE CAN!