27 mpg @ 168000 miles
By ORUtoUFO on
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4dr SUV 4WD
This is actually a 1987 AMC Jeep, but review selections don't go back that far. I have been looking at SUV reviews for my daughter and was shocked at the low milage ratings. I have always gotten between 23-26 MPG/HWY on this manual transmission 4 liter Cherokee. The past 6 months it has been 27 mpg, perhaps due to new oversize 235-75-R15 tires, even with 168000 miles on the engine. I remember when we ordered it new, the salesman seemed surprised at the non-standard rear end, with a comment of "Well, you should get good milage." Perhaps that is the cause of a sluggishness I noted from the beginning, like riding a bike uphill in hi-gear.
Favorite Features
Good milage/doesn't go out of style, until now, perhaps since I just read on this site that it has been replaced by the Liberty?
Suggested Improvements
If you have discontinued the basic good old Cherokee, bring it back, & put that non-standard rear end in to all basic models to improve gas milage, if that is indeed what made the difference in mine. Give the hotrodders an option for the "better performance" lower milage rearends.