Used 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

It was fun
By rose313

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo in the beginning of 2009 and had it until the end of 2011, when I discovered it had a bad engine bearing. I sold it to someone who wanted to put another engine in. It was fun to drive and I didn't have any huge issues besides the engine. I bought it with 155k miles on it, and drove it about 20 or 25k while I owned it. I was surprised that it was horrible in the snow, since the four wheel drive was only part time, I couldn't use it for anything but getting out of parking spots in the snow or mud, which it was awesome at. But the rear wheel drive was awful on my highway commute to and from work, I almost slid off the road multiple times.

Power windows, locks, and seats Digital thermometer and compass 4 wheel drive

These things are expected in a high mileage vehicle, but I'm listing them anyway: Paint started peeling and flaking badly after about 165k. Road noise was awful. Back speakers were blown and audio quality even in the front speakers which worked fine, was bad. Seats were comfortable for me, but my boyfriend who is 6 feet tall was not comfortable in it, even with the seat as low as it went, he was still too tall for it.

1990 jeep cherokee
By chris

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has been lifted 5.5" and now is running on 31 x 10.50 dunlop tires. It has a few extra mods to the engine to raise performance over the stock 4.0l inline six. The interior is in good condition but by no means new. The paint is in poor condition and needs repainting. All Glass is present with no cracks. Gas mileage is not as good as the stock vehicle because of gearing and the tires. Great off road driver.

5.5" lift with 31 x 10.50 tires with performance suspension

new engine the one that is in it has over 300000 miles with the original transmission and axles

Family of Jeeps
By Familyofjeeps

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I am part of a Family of jeeps. My dad has an 87 with 287,000 miles on it and the only problems that we ever had with it in our last 3 years of owning it is the slight oil leak and the anitfreeze reservoir cracked. We also recently did something to the front axle from pulling a stuck 04 f150 out of the snow. Funny stuff but that little jeep did it. my uncle has a 92 with 210K (approx) and he loves that HO I am currently looking for another, newer jeep. to get ready for offroad and these rigs are very reliable. On or off road. my old dodge would take me a whole tank off road, those 2 jeeps only used 1/4 a tank of gas on a 100 mi offroad trip. Great Rigs.

The awesome 4wd system rocks.

more back seat room.

awesome suv
By knaggs

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my Jeep used and it overheated after three months. IT WAS NOT THE JEEP. it was negligence. I just got a new motor for it and the reliability before the new engine was unbelievable. at 138,000 miles it didn't miss nor did the tranny slip nor did it burn any other fluids other than gas. Plus for an SUV it got good mileage both for fun and work.

My favorite feature is the upgradeability. You can do anything to a Jeep, cosmetic or performance, and it will always work.

oh i wish
By AlysonB

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

love love this car...even though i had to replace the entire cooling system,entire exhaust system and shocks...but i just recently found a severe oil leak and the frame is rusted out :( besides that it's great! who wants it??

it's a jeep..need i say more

cup holders!