Used 1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

It was fun
By rose313

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo in the beginning of 2009 and had it until the end of 2011, when I discovered it had a bad engine bearing. I sold it to someone who wanted to put another engine in. It was fun to drive and I didn't have any huge issues besides the engine. I bought it with 155k miles on it, and drove it about 20 or 25k while I owned it. I was surprised that it was horrible in the snow, since the four wheel drive was only part time, I couldn't use it for anything but getting out of parking spots in the snow or mud, which it was awesome at. But the rear wheel drive was awful on my highway commute to and from work, I almost slid off the road multiple times.

Power windows, locks, and seats Digital thermometer and compass 4 wheel drive

These things are expected in a high mileage vehicle, but I'm listing them anyway: Paint started peeling and flaking badly after about 165k. Road noise was awful. Back speakers were blown and audio quality even in the front speakers which worked fine, was bad. Seats were comfortable for me, but my boyfriend who is 6 feet tall was not comfortable in it, even with the seat as low as it went, he was still too tall for it.

Best jeeps ever
By Jeep101

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My jeep Cherokee is lifted and has Mug terrain tires. The car is a blast drive and looks great. The only thing is that its kind of hard to start when its really cold out. But it still starts up every time. 135,000 miles

4x4, look, and the way it drives is great.

NONE!

1990 jeep cherokee
By chris

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has been lifted 5.5" and now is running on 31 x 10.50 dunlop tires. It has a few extra mods to the engine to raise performance over the stock 4.0l inline six. The interior is in good condition but by no means new. The paint is in poor condition and needs repainting. All Glass is present with no cracks. Gas mileage is not as good as the stock vehicle because of gearing and the tires. Great off road driver.

5.5" lift with 31 x 10.50 tires with performance suspension

new engine the one that is in it has over 300000 miles with the original transmission and axles

i love it
By pl3x

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV 4dr SUV

I have a 1990 Cherokee, it was a old police truck. this thing runs like a dream, i drive about 25-30 miles a day 1 way for work and average about 20- 24mpg on the highway. ive had to change the ignition coil and the pcv valves on it, both took me about 5 min total to repair. im very impressed, 210k miles still has alot of torque and still rides nice. after owning fords and dodges in the past and now a jeep i will only own jeeps from here on out.

none are my favorite really the whole truck is amazing

a factory roll cage would have been nice. now i have to fabricate and weld one heh.

Family of Jeeps
By Familyofjeeps

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I am part of a Family of jeeps. My dad has an 87 with 287,000 miles on it and the only problems that we ever had with it in our last 3 years of owning it is the slight oil leak and the anitfreeze reservoir cracked. We also recently did something to the front axle from pulling a stuck 04 f150 out of the snow. Funny stuff but that little jeep did it. my uncle has a 92 with 210K (approx) and he loves that HO I am currently looking for another, newer jeep. to get ready for offroad and these rigs are very reliable. On or off road. my old dodge would take me a whole tank off road, those 2 jeeps only used 1/4 a tank of gas on a 100 mi offroad trip. Great Rigs.

The awesome 4wd system rocks.

more back seat room.