1990 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
It was fun
By rose313 on 08/22/12 12:27 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo in the beginning of 2009 and had it until the end of 2011, when I discovered it had a bad engine bearing. I sold it to someone who wanted to put another engine in. It was fun to drive and I didn't have any huge issues besides the engine. I bought it with 155k miles on it, and drove it about 20 or 25k while I owned it. I was surprised that it was horrible in the snow, since the four wheel drive was only part time, I couldn't use it for anything but getting out of parking spots in the snow or mud, which it was awesome at. But the rear wheel drive was awful on my highway commute to and from work, I almost slid off the road multiple times.

1990 jeep cherokee
By chris on 08/03/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has been lifted 5.5" and now is running on 31 x 10.50 dunlop tires. It has a few extra mods to the engine to raise performance over the stock 4.0l inline six. The interior is in good condition but by no means new. The paint is in poor condition and needs repainting. All Glass is present with no cracks. Gas mileage is not as good as the stock vehicle because of gearing and the tires. Great off road driver.

Family of Jeeps
By Familyofjeeps on 04/17/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I am part of a Family of jeeps. My dad has an 87 with 287,000 miles on it and the only problems that we ever had with it in our last 3 years of owning it is the slight oil leak and the anitfreeze reservoir cracked. We also recently did something to the front axle from pulling a stuck 04 f150 out of the snow. Funny stuff but that little jeep did it. my uncle has a 92 with 210K (approx) and he loves that HO I am currently looking for another, newer jeep. to get ready for offroad and these rigs are very reliable. On or off road. my old dodge would take me a whole tank off road, those 2 jeeps only used 1/4 a tank of gas on a 100 mi offroad trip. Great Rigs.

awesome suv
By knaggs on 10/20/06 12:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my Jeep used and it overheated after three months. IT WAS NOT THE JEEP. it was negligence. I just got a new motor for it and the reliability before the new engine was unbelievable. at 138,000 miles it didn't miss nor did the tranny slip nor did it burn any other fluids other than gas. Plus for an SUV it got good mileage both for fun and work.

oh i wish
By AlysonB on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

love love this car...even though i had to replace the entire cooling system,entire exhaust system and shocks...but i just recently found a severe oil leak and the frame is rusted out :( besides that it's great! who wants it??

Strong
By Brian D. on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I just recently received this Jeep from my dad. The exterior has been well taken care of; however, the drive train has not. He bought it about 2 yrs ago from a dealer w/out warrenty. I have just personally replaced the head, and exhaust manifold (I've learned that is a problem..the exhaust manifold cracks). The head had to be machined down because my dad didn't know the fan stopped working, so it warped it. Overall, I know this is a good Jeep, their reliability is great as long as you take care of them. It will last a very long time once I am done with it. By the way, the interior last very long.

My 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
By Freddyboo on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Very reliable. Will go anywhere I want to go here in the Rocky Mountains. A real mountain goat.

Keep on Truckin'
By Jassdo on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for approximately 12,000 miles, and with over 180,000 miles on the odometer there have been no major problems (good friend owned it before I did). As the vehicle gets older the mileage has suffered (common I think with Jeeps), and the paint has faded (almost all silver Cherokees from this year seem to have this problem). I am a larger guy, and find the seats to be comfortable, the power of the motor acceptable, and the ride tolerable. Surprising fact, it is a fun vehicle to drive, and the four wheel drive system is excellent. Highly recommended (bring money for gas at ~12 miles per gallon)!!!

POS!!!
By Puma1077 on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

3 months after purchsign vehicle connecting rod blew, alternator went out, chane oil every 3 months, have had in the shop at least once every 50 days for the past 2 years, just replaced all fuel injectors, fuel pressure reg, thank GAWD purchased 2 yr warranty, bought wnty for 1,500, wrnty has covered well over 7,500 in repairs, know lead mechanic by first name,

I'll buy another one....someday
By Jeep Mom on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep from the original owner. I now have 246,000 miles on it. I replaced the fuel injectors at 230,000 and they were the original factory injectors. This vehicle has been more dependable than any other I've owned. It still starts with just a tap of the key and has never left me stranded. My son wants me to buy another so he can have this one.