1990 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
It was fun
By rose313 on 08/22/12 12:27 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo in the beginning of 2009 and had it until the end of 2011, when I discovered it had a bad engine bearing. I sold it to someone who wanted to put another engine in. It was fun to drive and I didn't have any huge issues besides the engine. I bought it with 155k miles on it, and drove it about 20 or 25k while I owned it. I was surprised that it was horrible in the snow, since the four wheel drive was only part time, I couldn't use it for anything but getting out of parking spots in the snow or mud, which it was awesome at. But the rear wheel drive was awful on my highway commute to and from work, I almost slid off the road multiple times.

Best jeeps ever
By Jeep101 on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My jeep Cherokee is lifted and has Mug terrain tires. The car is a blast drive and looks great. The only thing is that its kind of hard to start when its really cold out. But it still starts up every time. 135,000 miles

1990 jeep cherokee
By chris on 08/03/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has been lifted 5.5" and now is running on 31 x 10.50 dunlop tires. It has a few extra mods to the engine to raise performance over the stock 4.0l inline six. The interior is in good condition but by no means new. The paint is in poor condition and needs repainting. All Glass is present with no cracks. Gas mileage is not as good as the stock vehicle because of gearing and the tires. Great off road driver.

i love it
By pl3x on 07/19/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4dr SUV

I have a 1990 Cherokee, it was a old police truck. this thing runs like a dream, i drive about 25-30 miles a day 1 way for work and average about 20- 24mpg on the highway. ive had to change the ignition coil and the pcv valves on it, both took me about 5 min total to repair. im very impressed, 210k miles still has alot of torque and still rides nice. after owning fords and dodges in the past and now a jeep i will only own jeeps from here on out.

Family of Jeeps
By Familyofjeeps on 04/17/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I am part of a Family of jeeps. My dad has an 87 with 287,000 miles on it and the only problems that we ever had with it in our last 3 years of owning it is the slight oil leak and the anitfreeze reservoir cracked. We also recently did something to the front axle from pulling a stuck 04 f150 out of the snow. Funny stuff but that little jeep did it. my uncle has a 92 with 210K (approx) and he loves that HO I am currently looking for another, newer jeep. to get ready for offroad and these rigs are very reliable. On or off road. my old dodge would take me a whole tank off road, those 2 jeeps only used 1/4 a tank of gas on a 100 mi offroad trip. Great Rigs.

Nearly Indestructible
By cwrigh25 on 12/30/07 21:35 PM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

I recieved this Jeep as a first vehicle. It came with 315,000 miles. Four years later as it nears 330,000 it still runs like a champ. Sure it has its hiccups, like leaking oil, or not idling after prolonged use, but for the amount of miles it does has it runs well. The a/c even works! If these vehicles are taken care of, and certain parts replaced, pumps, harmonic balance, radiator, it could potential last a person a few decades.

excellent car
By Ace36 on 12/19/06 13:41 PM (PST)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4dr SUV 4WD

For offroaders, the capabilities are nearly unmatched. For onroaders, the I6 lasts forever and puts out enough power to accelerate faster than most V8's I've driven. Friends with bad backs complain about my seats, but for me, I have no problems whatsoever, and for short trips, I have no problem at all. Also the command-trac 4wd holds the road well accelerating uphill in extremely icy conditions despite my nearly bald tires.

awesome suv
By knaggs on 10/20/06 12:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my Jeep used and it overheated after three months. IT WAS NOT THE JEEP. it was negligence. I just got a new motor for it and the reliability before the new engine was unbelievable. at 138,000 miles it didn't miss nor did the tranny slip nor did it burn any other fluids other than gas. Plus for an SUV it got good mileage both for fun and work.

the jeep review
By moneybagT on 07/11/06 21:04 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I love to ride in my Jeep. I have owned the Jeep for 8 years and I love it. It’s my baby! I have the 4 door limited and it’s in great condition with 223000 miles and a lot left to go. I've heard that these Jeeps can get 400,000 miles on them and I believe it. The most problems that I can recall from the 1990 Jeep Cherokee is that there is no radiator cap, you can only put radiator fluid from the reserve and sometimes these things like to run hot but if you keep a good thermostat in it and a good reserve cap on the reserve it will be able to have the pressure that it needs to let the water flow. This is the only major thing that I can see that is really wrong with the Jeeps - I do recommend them.

Classic Jeep
By TCarico on 10/29/05 11:11 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car, great design, "it is what it is". I am the second owner. The car drives like a new ca. I had a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited and this car feels very similar in responsiveness and ride. I replaced the alternator ($140 installed) and put a new valve cover gasket on the car ($45 installed). These are well built vehicles that will run for over 200,000 miles if maintained.