2005 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar Xk-series - Consumer Reviews

2005 XK-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XK-Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Fantastic
By Jagman

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Swapped my 2002 XKR for this 2005 XKR. Definite upgrade & improvement. Since both cars were black, most don't realize it is not the same car. However, the increased horse power and extra gear (6th) give a different driving experience and improved performance over the previous model. This car can be driven all day and averages close to 20 mpg, not that I care, but it is impressive. Best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

You can drive all day in comfort. Plenty of power on tap. Great handling. Gorgeous. All this car and a warranty!

Suggested Improvements

Change radio antenna from electric telescope to a windshield antenna.

Just traded
By Jagman

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Five months ago I traded my 2002 XKR conv. for the 2005. The only available was the same color: black. I can pass it off as the same car, if I want. The upgrades are subtle but significant. I thought the 2002 was the best car I ever owned, the 2005 is now the BEST. More power, more torque, 1 more gear, better handling, better looking exterior. I really look forward to driving every day. This car has the power available when you want it. It is also very comfortable on long trips. The 2008 may be next, when my warranty expires in two more years.

Favorite Features

Smooth power, handling, shifting. Very comfortable interior. Beautiful exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

The only minor drawbacks in the 2005 are the top storage and the retractable radio antenna. Both have been improved on the new 2007-08 models.

On Top of the World
By GOKITTY

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I have wanted a Jag for over 30 years. Well, it was finally time. Just to make sure, I drove every conceiveable competitor. Corvette, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Aston Martin, Lexus - you name it. The XKR is the best overall choice. It is stunning. Strangers drool. It is THE gentleman's sportscar. And the service from Hennessy was unbelieveable. Top notch.

Favorite Features

Elegant interior and exterior styling. Acceleration from 0-60. Stunning with top up or down. Excellent trunk space for a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system is outdated on 2005 model. My portable Garmin is much better.

Limited Edition Carbon Fiber
By Pam Washkewicz

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car for its looks and fuel economy. I love the 19" wheels and the fact that this was a limited edition. The only thing that really bothers me about this car is that there is no cd player on the dash, and I have to go in the trunk to change the cd's.

Favorite Features

19" wheels

Suggested Improvements

put a cd player on the dash and get rid of the tape player

Gotta Have it
By Dave

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Have the Jaq Green. I have had numerous people come up to me and say what a beautiful car. Some are not aware of the reliablity yet and only recall the problems of the Jags of the 60's. This is a whole new machine. Our second one in 3 years. Very comfortable, drove straight through to Florida.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

larger LCD

XKR Coupe
By Young Mach

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Coupe (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This has to be the hottest car in the street. This car gives you great confidence every time you drive this fantastic automobile. Put some TV's in the headrest and set of 20-inch chrome giovanni's with some yokohama low pro z- rated tires and you're good to go.

Favorite Features

My favorite features would definitely be on the exterior and interior design. It's not much of a feature but it is something that Jaguar fanatics are truly in love with. These cars are of very unique design. But can also be expensive, but if you have enough to buy it you have enough to keep it.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing this car is missing is a six-speed transmission. I love driving and automatic can get a little boring at times. Also with a manual I get to enjoy ripping the gears from first gear to six.

Finally!
By Toni Elkins

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

After years of wanting this car--I got it! A gift from my husband---and it was worth waiting for! Excellent!

Favorite Features

The exterior

Suggested Improvements

It sits a little too low for the average driver---

Whoopee!
By George Stepan

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Coupe (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

A real head turner no matter how old the exterior design may be. Some modest detractions are the ergonomics sometimes requiring you to look away from the road, could be improved, but once learned, no problem. Full leather interior with shiny wood trim spells luxury. This design too is old, but why change a good thing? Exterior metal fit is average. Not impressed with quality of the Alpine sound system given the price of this car. Performance is outstanding, a smooth 6 speed transmission, plenty of get up and go. Unless you set the speed control, you'll be going 90 and not know it. Anyone paying 70k probably does'nt care, but I get 27+ mpg on the road. A great touring car!

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design. Smooth transmission, good acceleration, quiet, a real comfort on the road.

Suggested Improvements

If possible, a simpler array/design of dashboard and steering wheel controls. Improved sound system.

An unexpected pleasure
By NewJagLover

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

While shopping for sports cars, I happened to rent an XK convertible on a trip to California. Unbelievable, great trunk space (considering the size of Mercedes and BMW trunks) and "elegant performance". Whatever it was, I was sold. Other cars might be able to post higher g-ratings in the skidpad or faster 0-60, but you'll find passion in a Jag. Found a great dealer in my home state that got me the color combination I wanted. I have never smiled so much driving in my life! Even better with the top down -- that way the climate control system gets exercised.

Favorite Features

Too many to mention. Especially good is the six-speed auto, and the tuned exhaust. The trunk is copious -- took two big bags and three carry-ons with no problem

Suggested Improvements

Could use a single CD changer in the dash and an extra power outlet -- one for the cellphone, one for the radar detector.

XK8 1999 to the XK8 2005
By ric

2005 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We have a 2004 S type R very fast, we also had the 1999 XK8 and sold it to buy the 2005 XK8. What a step up from the 1999. The 2005 ride is a lot better and the car is better built. The 99 was a very good car but the 2005 is so much better. I use to drive the S type R but now my wife drives it and I have taken to driveing the 2005 XK8

Favorite Features

Fun and fast, nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Could be 400 hp like our S type R That would make the XK8 a 12 up from a 10