Used 2002 Jaguar XK-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar XK-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XK-Series model:

Finally Found The Perfect Car (for me anyway...)
By mplstim

2002 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 XK8 in December 2011 with just 47,000 miles on it. I've never owned a Jaguar but after an exhaustive search for a luxurious coupe and being open to just about anything, I could not find anything out there in a reasonable price range until I started researching the 1997-2006 Jaguar XK series. It took a while to find the right one, but I finally found a black on black coupe for sale in Philadelphia. I drove it 1500 miles over a weekend back to Minnesota and absolutely love everything about it. Power, handling, comfort, luxury and the most unique and beautiful styling I've ever seen. Get one!! You won't be disappointed

The car is breathtaking in it's beauty inside and out. There is nothing else like it on the road. It is supremely comfortable on long journeys and is an excellent mix of power, handling and quiet luxury. The interior is especially beautiful with rich wood trim and wonderful leathers. Handling is superb in spirited driving or quiet and sedate if that is what you want. I've taken it to it's extremes in cornering and found it very easy to control rear end drift. Prices on these cars are very reasonable. People fear a Jaguar out of warranty and the depreciation reflects this. They are an absolute steal in today's market while history shows them to be very reliable.

I specifically chose the XK8 over the supercharged XKR to avoid issues with superchargers, adaptive suspensions, expensive brakes etc... I test drove both versions and while an XKR is absolutely thrilling to drive, the XK8 is plenty fast. I think the simpler systems will give fewer problems. My car was upgraded with a Borla exhaust system and 19" wheels. The exhaust sounds wonderful when you step on it but subdued in normal cruising. I put new Goodyear Eagle GTs on my car and they made a big difference in ride and handling. Great tires for this car.

2002 Jaguar XKR
By Les

2002 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

After 30 years of driving, this is by far the best driving car I have owned. Recent 3500 mile trip was a smooth satisfying experience (as opposed to other sports cars where I needed to rest kidney bruises). Bought it Select Edition pre-owned. Very satisfied with reliability and efficient warranty repair and maintenance program.

Smoothness, style, plenty of power when needed.

As done in 2007, a hard tonneau cover.

Great vacation car
By rmk

2002 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Just try to fit a suitcase or two and golf clubs into the new MB, Lexus or new Jag XK. Can't do it with the new cool hard/convertible tops down. Top down, trunk space gone. I really like the clean look of the new disappearing hard convt tops but not at the expense of the trunk. I use this car to take to the coast or mountains for vacation and pleasure driving. It has a large trunk and is very powerful, comfortable. I will not be getting a new one due to the trunk space issues.

Love the 02 XKR. I hope it last me 20 years.

A terrific vehicle
By peregryne

2002 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a blast to drive, it handles really well, and has good acceleration. Unfortunately I haven't been able to verify the top speed :), but at high speeds it's still very smooth and quiet. The convertible top produces little noise, and looks great from inside. Jaguar reliability is much better than it used to be, and the AJ-V8 engine and ZF tranny are a very solid combination. Research the timing chain tensioners however, esp. on pre-2000 models. Oil changes are very easy thanks to intelligently-situated filter and drain. Good amount of trunk space, but the back seat is all but useless for moving people.

Exterior appearance, thoroughly enjoyable driving experience, comfortable cabin, nice leather. Treat this car well and it will treat you well in return.

Mfg. recall on pre-2005 timing chain tensioners! More interior room.

Powerful but refined
By G Pinsky

2002 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

My car is bright red with black leather interior and it is stunning. There is not a more beautiful vehicle on the road. I wanted a fine luxury convertible for weekend driving with room for 2 suitcases or sets of golf clubs. There are only a few vehicles in this class but the others are set up for racing and I wanted a smoother ride. The XKR has the power and performance in a league with the 500 SL Mercedes and the Porsche but the ride and features of a fine luxury car. It is perfect the perfect mix for me.

Looks, Power, Comfort, Trunk Space, and Ride.

Maybe a windscreen but actually up to 80mph the wind noise is not that bad.