1999 Jaguar XK-Series 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - The Brits can still make

1999 Jaguar XK-Series - Consumer Review

XK8 Convertible (4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic)

The Brits can still make a great car
By Richard Hill on

1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

I had resisted buying another Jaguar since my bad experiences with the XJ models of the 70/80s. However, since Ford has dragged this famous marque into the 21st century, with good quality control & finish, I decided to give the make another go. I have not regretted it for one moment, because this beautiful lady will make you feel 20 years younger without surgery & hours in the gym (as did XKE in the 1960s). The performance & endless power is captivating (forget the nonsense of 0-60 & top speed).The ride is firm, but comfortable & the road holding is like a go-kart. The design team of Jaguar has blended luxury, style, performance & feel good factor in one car, which is hard to beat under $100K.

Favorite Features

This lady (when you think how old she is) can still turn heads, instead of stomaches in my case. The road holding is very forgiving, the torque is endless, the interior is well thought out & the finish is much improved. If you worry about m.p.h. then you have really lost the plot.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic hand break release when you select a gear, because I have driven off so many times with it on. Cool seat option (like Lexus) would be very comfortable in the heat. Option to lose the sad rear seats for extra storage, not all of us have little children or three foot friends.