Great Car for the Money
By wbouton on
1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible
When I say money, I don't mean original sticker price, but rather the purchase price of one that is a few years old. Prices drop like a rock on both the XJs and the XKs. The other XJs that I've owned (95' and up) have been dead reliable (one with 186k miles) and we are hoping that the same can be said of this XK, since they share a lot of parts. Much better built car than my Porsche 968 and mostly just as much fun, even without a manual transmission. Old XJS platform has some cowl shake, but it's pretty much kept under control. It's a very nice car to drive to work everyday or take on weekend trips. Luggage space, mileage and noise isolation are decent for a convertible.
Favorite Features
Exterior shape, V8 power, quiet one-touch convertible top ... believe it or not, quality.
Suggested Improvements
Give the boot ... the boot. It's ridiculous that a $75,000-$120,000 car has a manual boot cover!!! The only feature that I really dislike. Other suggestions include a power lock button inside the car, remotely opening and closing the top from the key fob, stiffer platform, and convertible hardtop.