Used 1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jaguar Xk-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible

XK8 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Worth the headaches
By Sutzme

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Bought this gem used with 21K miles on it. Good thing I had an extended warranty. Plenty of electrical problem, traction control fail, antilock brake fail, convertible top lines fractured (not covered), fuel pump fail, starter fail, etc. In spite of all that, this car is just fab. It drives like a dream now that everything is fixed. She is a thing of beauty. I never get tired of starting the engine. She handles so well on the road and is great on the highway (gets 26 mpg believe it or not). These cars have lots of computer glitches. You have to get used to them. Thing you need most is a mechanic you trust who can keep your gem running smoothly. Dealerships are not always the best at this.

Favorite Features

I love the convertible top. That's the whole reason you would buy this car. You need to drive with the top down AND the boot cover ON. This keeps everything clean. It is not a big deal to put it on. Yeah, it's not as slick as other models, but that was the way it was in 1999. HK stereo is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

It is a classic car. It is what it is. Buy one because you love it. I plan to keep this one forever. People offer me money for it all the time. Plastic parts do wear out after 10 years so be prepared to replace them (cup holder and sun visor makeup mirror).

So-So car
By tomeyeman

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I traded a 98 Porsche Boxster for a 99 Jaguar XK8 a few years ago.son I did it was to have a back seat for my kids to ride. Unfortunately the back seat is so small only kids under 5 can fit. Exterior: No complaints. It's a sleek, nice design. Interior: Extremely difficult to enter/exit but once inside is comfortable . The wood interior is nice but the rest is cheap, easily breakable plastic. Mechanical: The well-known cheaply-made plastic timing chain tensioners should have been replaced on all the XK under warranty. Overall by no means a luxury car. Then again, I'm comparing it to an LS Lexus.

Favorite Features

Appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a self covering convertible top. Shouldn't have to get out of a $70,000 car to manually cover the retracted top.

Great value, but requires some patience....
By remsenburg

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

As someone who has owned two other Jaguars, an XJ6 and an XJ8, that were purchased new and kept for 7 or more years and 100k miles, without any problems, I was optimistic that my purchase of a 1999 XK8 in the spring of 2010 would not present any problems. I researched the car and was aware of the timing chain issue (which I replaced immediately on purchase of the car), but I was unprepared for mysterious "check engine" light problems. After several unsuccessful attempts by my repair shop the problem ultimately was the electronic throttle control module (a very expensive part). After replacing the ECM - no problems. All in all still a lot of car for the money!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, good all around performance, great lines and quality.

Mixed feelings
By One more thought

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I love the looks and the ride is exceptional for a sports car. Long trips are no problem, the car is easy to drive and very responsive on the highway. It could use more low end torch, and the transmission is a concern sense it is a closed system, unable to change any fluids. I had to change motor mounts and the safety monitoring system for the transmission is very touchy. The vehicle brakes very well and stability is exceptional.

Favorite Features

The looks and the handling are exceptional.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a different transmission and upgraded electrical.

Great bang for your buck
By allen/kym

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I just bought my Jag Xk8 convertible a few months ago. It is black on black with chrome wheels. The car gets plenty of looks. People cannot tell what year or what I paid for this baby. The car is beautiful to look at in motion or while sitting still. Under the hood is a monster. the car has power the run a quarter mile when needed. In short, just buy it. You treat the car good, and she'll treat you real nice.

Favorite Features

Timeless look, comfortable ride, and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper sounding exhaust.