1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

XK8 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )
So-So car
By tomeyeman on 06/07/11 19:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I traded a 98 Porsche Boxster for a 99 Jaguar XK8 a few years ago.son I did it was to have a back seat for my kids to ride. Unfortunately the back seat is so small only kids under 5 can fit. Exterior: No complaints. It's a sleek, nice design. Interior: Extremely difficult to enter/exit but once inside is comfortable . The wood interior is nice but the rest is cheap, easily breakable plastic. Mechanical: The well-known cheaply-made plastic timing chain tensioners should have been replaced on all the XK under warranty. Overall by no means a luxury car. Then again, I'm comparing it to an LS Lexus.

Great value, but requires some patience....
By remsenburg on 05/05/11 12:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

As someone who has owned two other Jaguars, an XJ6 and an XJ8, that were purchased new and kept for 7 or more years and 100k miles, without any problems, I was optimistic that my purchase of a 1999 XK8 in the spring of 2010 would not present any problems. I researched the car and was aware of the timing chain issue (which I replaced immediately on purchase of the car), but I was unprepared for mysterious "check engine" light problems. After several unsuccessful attempts by my repair shop the problem ultimately was the electronic throttle control module (a very expensive part). After replacing the ECM - no problems. All in all still a lot of car for the money!

Worth the headaches
By Sutzme on 04/15/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Bought this gem used with 21K miles on it. Good thing I had an extended warranty. Plenty of electrical problem, traction control fail, antilock brake fail, convertible top lines fractured (not covered), fuel pump fail, starter fail, etc. In spite of all that, this car is just fab. It drives like a dream now that everything is fixed. She is a thing of beauty. I never get tired of starting the engine. She handles so well on the road and is great on the highway (gets 26 mpg believe it or not). These cars have lots of computer glitches. You have to get used to them. Thing you need most is a mechanic you trust who can keep your gem running smoothly. Dealerships are not always the best at this.

Great bang for your buck
By allen/kym on 11/23/09 16:46 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I just bought my Jag Xk8 convertible a few months ago. It is black on black with chrome wheels. The car gets plenty of looks. People cannot tell what year or what I paid for this baby. The car is beautiful to look at in motion or while sitting still. Under the hood is a monster. the car has power the run a quarter mile when needed. In short, just buy it. You treat the car good, and she'll treat you real nice.

Mixed feelings
By One more thought on 03/27/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I love the looks and the ride is exceptional for a sports car. Long trips are no problem, the car is easy to drive and very responsive on the highway. It could use more low end torch, and the transmission is a concern sense it is a closed system, unable to change any fluids. I had to change motor mounts and the safety monitoring system for the transmission is very touchy. The vehicle brakes very well and stability is exceptional.

A great old girl
By Markas on 10/11/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I have a friend who owned this car and was moving out of the country and couldn't take it. I have been salivating over it for some time, so buying it was a no-brainer. I haven't owned a convertible before, so it has been a delight driving around topless this summer. The interior is comfortable, but those back seats are a bit silly. The acceleration is good and the hum of the engine is delightful. I've had quite a few people ask me about the car at stoplights and stop signs. What a fun car to drive.

Reality
By greyfox on 08/13/07 12:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Great looking but no real substance. At 65000 miles, I have repaired timing chain guides, motor mounts, tilt wheel electronics, door lock electronics, memory seat electronics, Mass Air flow meter, throttle body module, fuel pump, fuel regulator, plugs and it still is a big question mark. Can shut down in traffic. No notice. Can be hard to start up with shaking for 2 minutes. Shows failures but the computer reads unrelated problems which if fixed would not make any difference. Intermittent ability to start up. Sometimes seems like no starter connected.

The Brits can still make a great car
By Richard Hill on 05/20/05 07:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I had resisted buying another Jaguar since my bad experiences with the XJ models of the 70/80s. However, since Ford has dragged this famous marque into the 21st century, with good quality control & finish, I decided to give the make another go. I have not regretted it for one moment, because this beautiful lady will make you feel 20 years younger without surgery & hours in the gym (as did XKE in the 1960s). The performance & endless power is captivating (forget the nonsense of 0-60 & top speed).The ride is firm, but comfortable & the road holding is like a go-kart. The design team of Jaguar has blended luxury, style, performance & feel good factor in one car, which is hard to beat under $100K.

Great Car for the Money
By wbouton on 05/02/05 17:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

When I say money, I don't mean original sticker price, but rather the purchase price of one that is a few years old. Prices drop like a rock on both the XJs and the XKs. The other XJs that I've owned (95' and up) have been dead reliable (one with 186k miles) and we are hoping that the same can be said of this XK, since they share a lot of parts. Much better built car than my Porsche 968 and mostly just as much fun, even without a manual transmission. Old XJS platform has some cowl shake, but it's pretty much kept under control. It's a very nice car to drive to work everyday or take on weekend trips. Luggage space, mileage and noise isolation are decent for a convertible.

Pretty good car
By JZL on 03/02/05 21:07 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Overall good car. It's a kick to drive and it looks great. Put Pirelli tires on it and it really handles. Car was reliable until about 75,000 miles. After that, transmission and instrument pack had to be replaced. Car also jumped timing and timing chain needed to be repaired. Premature in my book. Make sure you purchase the extended warranty. It's worth its weight in gold!