Bad Luck
By Car Buff on
1998 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible
My favorite car yet, when it's not in the shop. It's too bad that they also still make lemons at Jaguar. This is one of those. It only has 29000 miles on it. I bought it with 4000 miles in 2000. It's had a new steering wheel motor, transmission, three batteries, new heater hoses and several new computer modules. The latest cost $1100. It needs a new top motor ($2000) and a flush of the old, jelled hydraulic fluid that runs the top. That doesn't work at all. My former Lexus coupe was a dream with no problems after 60000 miles. All my MBZs together didn't have as many problems.
Favorite Features
I love the handling characteristics. Flat cornering, not the fastest, but plenty quick enough. Great trunk size for two golf bags and lots of extras. The top doesn't eat up trunk space. The "back seat" space is big enough for small bags needed for access during xcountry cruising. Great mileage.
Suggested Improvements
More torque or horse power from the current engine. Power adjustable passenger seat. Better emergency brake system. It's too hard for the women to work. Better non-AC air flow control. Make all the fancy gizmos work more than just the first couple of years.