1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

XK8 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )
Beautiful car
By sammy500c on 04/10/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I purchased as a second owner... Love the car, it's pure white with tan interior. I have to say that this car gives you a different feeling than any other. I have had many convertibles but none compare to the XK8 and performance.

Be careful
By Michael M. on 10/02/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Do a web search for secondary timing chain tensioners and you'll read about what happened to my car at 58,000 miles. If I didn't have an extended warranty to pick up the tab for the month long rental car and ~$8000 worth of engine replacement work, this would've been a total nightmare instead of just a bad dream. Look elsewhere unless you want a car that will get you looks as well as get you stranded.

Love This Car!
By Dennis L. on 08/04/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Even though my car is a 1998 it's a little embarrassing when people stare and point. The top is easy to operate and the car drives like a dream. I know the previous owner and aside from very minor issues the 54000 miles it has have been trouble free. It was intended to be a luxury car more than a sports car and it fills the bill perfectly. While not a "neck snapper" like my Corvettes were, the power is delivered smoothly without reserve. This will probably be the most quiet convertible you ever ride in. At the used prices today, find a nice one and live it up!

Wonderful Brit Ride
By Preston on 09/23/07 17:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Purchased the XK8 used, after correcting a few neglected maintenance items the car drives, rides and runs excellent. I have taken several long trips of 8 hrs in a day and found comfort to exceed expectations. Fuel economy on the road exceeds 25 MPG. As a used car it is an excellent value! I've had 3 Jags in the past, this is the best including XKEs.

Love that car!
By ndb on 04/05/06 18:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Have owned this one 4 years. Acquired as certified used car with less than 6k miles! This is fun to drive, great to look at and absolutely trouble free! Timeless design for sure. Handling is quite responsive just not the fastest pony around, but if you like smooth this is the ticket. Highly recommend and looking forward to the 2007 model which just came out this week.

Bad Luck
By Car Buff on 02/02/06 16:58 PM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

My favorite car yet, when it's not in the shop. It's too bad that they also still make lemons at Jaguar. This is one of those. It only has 29000 miles on it. I bought it with 4000 miles in 2000. It's had a new steering wheel motor, transmission, three batteries, new heater hoses and several new computer modules. The latest cost $1100. It needs a new top motor ($2000) and a flush of the old, jelled hydraulic fluid that runs the top. That doesn't work at all. My former Lexus coupe was a dream with no problems after 60000 miles. All my MBZs together didn't have as many problems.

Love the Car
By SteveC on 03/03/05 13:49 PM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Im 48 and wanted a sports car that I could have and hold on to for a long time. I looked at Vets but I decided that its really for a younger person. I've had the car for several years and I really enjoy it. Its not nearly as fast as a vette but its quick and it is the best cournering car I've had. I have great fun taking it into a winding road with really sharp turns and curves. In the summer its great fun to drive with the top down. The car does not stand out and most folks dont realize its a high end car, which I like a lot.

The Designers Got It Right
By Bob Burger on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I've longed for this car since it was introtuced in '97. The only way I was able to "get into" this car was to wait and buy a pre-owned Jag--let the original owner take the "depreciation hit." My '98 had 40,000 miles on the odometer, but it was like new; hardly a blemish on it. I assume the original owner paid at least $75,000 for it new. It had all the special assessories with the exception of the headlight washers. The chrome wheels are beautiful on this "meteorite" colored convertible. This design has been on the road for eight years, but it is still a "head turner." It'e an expensive car to drive; high insurance premiums, expensive oil changes (oil filter) and when those

A Quality Vehicle-Really!!
By kase on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

All the horror stories must have occurred before the 1990 model for I have had very reliable cars/ My MB's over that period were no more reliable and lack styling. For a convertible it is super quite compared to other 1998 cars I have driven.

Great Car
By dadjar on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

This has been the best car I have owned, including a number of Porsches. What you give up in terms of ultimate performance (which is always difficult to use), you get back in comfort and drivability (which you use everyday). Very reliable. Excellent cargo and passenger space for a convertible and one of the best looking cars ever made.