1997 Jaguar XK-Series Consumer Review: New owner

1997 Jaguar XK-Series - Consumer Review

XK8 Convertible (4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic)

New owner
By 97jaguar on

1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

Set out to find a fun but cheaper car for the summer. It needed to do a few things...open air car, T top or rag, some power and must carry 2 sets of golf clubs. Looked at Trans Ams, Regal turbos, Corvettes, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. A Jag had never even crossed my mind. Came across an ad for a 1997 xk8 in Alberta where I live, about 4 hrs away. Long story short, bought it and love it! 16 yrs old 80k, 50,000 miles and mint! British racing green, green rag and tan int. The car has 2 mods, cold air intake and a stainless exhaust that runs under the rear axles. Not sure what it does for power but milage is great! Drove it home at 130kph, 80mph and got 28 mpg!!

Favorite Features

Great looking car. Makes you look like a millionaire on a blue collar budget. Well put together with high end materials. Good power. The back seat can carry at least 2 cases of beer! Forget anyone sitting back there! Great trunk space. You have room for 2 sets of clubs plus a bit more. Just stuff your luggage in the back seat for a weekend golf getaway! Value!! You could buy a house for what this car cost in 97. Now it is tough to buy a nice used car for under $20,000. In Canada anyway, and I paid way less than that for this car. And I have to admit as you drive down the road and other drivers are looking...the little voice in your head is saying...OH ya, it is a Jag you are looking at!

Suggested Improvements

Based on EPA figures a cold air and exhaust seem to be worth the money. Not sure what it does for perfomance since I have never driven one stock. Info on the net suggest that the 2 will add about 30hp. Who knows. I will swear that my car can get 28mpg at 80mph! It drops at lower speeds. 65mph shows 26mpg. The trip computer is VERY accurate, I have tested it against trip meters and refills. The car just loves to go.