Used 1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jaguar Xk-series - Consumer Reviews

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe

XK8 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )

Jaguar XK-8 Coupe Saphire Blue
By Ben Leone

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

When critiquing a vehicle like this you must look at the unique elements of the piece. This piece is nothing less than STUNNING. I bought my Jag used. I LOVE it! The original owner paid 80K for it. I paid 14K. I did the valve cover gaskets and the top tensioners and that cost me 900 bucks. So far knock on wood, the car has been great! I would recommend this car to anyone. I am tired of looking at vettes and porsches, nothing personal of course. My car is one of 40 to come to the US in Sapphire Blue! Now that is rare, coupled with the fact that only 1129 coupes were made for America that year!

Favorite Features

The sleek racy body style that is timeless and capturing. This car makes you feel like royalty. Treat yourself, but beware of folks with envy.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the timing chain and offer lifetime replacement at least once, for each unit out there that was designed WRONG in the first place.

The Best Car than they have been Invente
By Jimmy

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

This car is the best car than they have been invented in its category, the car everything is of an exquisite quality, I have had Mercedes Benz SL500 of 1995 and I assure to them that this model of Jaguar XK8 is far better in all but comfortable but pretty better service and east durability vehicle is for all the life.

Favorite Features

Exquisite Quality

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle is for all the life

Stunning cat
By Ben Leone

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

This car is a sheer rush to drive. I have five other cars that all look great but this car is a stunner, stunner, stunner. The coupe is what makes it so different compared to today's vehicles that resemble soap bars. I have been taking care of some basic areas of maintenance, the tranny needed a fluid change. I put new platinum plugs in. Fixed the rear deck brake lamp. Now I am contemplating the engine timing tensioners which are said to be a weak point in the 4.0 motor. Mine is not showing any indication of ticking or jumped timing on cold start-up. I will look into this further. I still love the car, even if someday I put a ford 351 motor in it.

Favorite Features

The body style is superior. People give me dirty looks in this car like my daddy bought it for me. Even my wife notices people looking at us in an awkward fashion. My wife says it is their problem. If you want a Jag, get a Jag you only live once. Mine is sapphire blue with chrome wheels. Stunning!

Suggested Improvements

A motor that will not cost a fortune to repair. I have only owned it two months and have spent some 18000 dollars so far. I will keep you posted as to how I fair as time goes by. Thanks for reading this, I hope it helped.

Val's Jag
By valdempsey

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

I bought a low miles (17000) black w/tan interior convertible (from a music icon who bought he car off the showroom floor in Nashville). I am the second owner. I enjoy it. Only drive it on nice days. I rarely push it but when I do it performs. The interior quality is not up to what it should be and I would have put some metal in the front where that plastic piece is. I think this is the first year that Ford made the car. The technology on the engine was flawed in materials but does not seem to be too big a problem. Light lenses leak but glass is so much better than all the new plastic lenses. All and all a good car. Classic? Don't bet on it.

Favorite Features

trunk space, top, smooth, wife likes it.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality like glue, materials and appointments, especially convertables fall below exptected standards.

Incredible value
By xkdave

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

The XK is perhaps the best looking vehicle made, at least in coupe form. Even after all these years in production, the car gets the looks like it was a brand new design. Be careful if you're taller than 6'. It can be cramped inside.

Favorite Features

Incredible styling in the coupe. After six months, I still go out to the garage just to look at it. Highway comfort. Reasonable fuel economy. Handles good for its size.

Suggested Improvements

It's a low production piece, so it can be expensive to fix. I just replaced the transmission on my high-mileage car, and it cost almost 5k. High maintenance but worth it.