1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jaguar Xk-series - Consumer Reviews

1997 XK-Series Consumer Reviews

XK8 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Jaguar XK-8 Coupe Saphire Blue
By Ben Leone

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

When critiquing a vehicle like this you must look at the unique elements of the piece. This piece is nothing less than STUNNING. I bought my Jag used. I LOVE it! The original owner paid 80K for it. I paid 14K. I did the valve cover gaskets and the top tensioners and that cost me 900 bucks. So far knock on wood, the car has been great! I would recommend this car to anyone. I am tired of looking at vettes and porsches, nothing personal of course. My car is one of 40 to come to the US in Sapphire Blue! Now that is rare, coupled with the fact that only 1129 coupes were made for America that year!

Favorite Features

The sleek racy body style that is timeless and capturing. This car makes you feel like royalty. Treat yourself, but beware of folks with envy.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the timing chain and offer lifetime replacement at least once, for each unit out there that was designed WRONG in the first place.

The Best Car than they have been Invente
By Jimmy

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

This car is the best car than they have been invented in its category, the car everything is of an exquisite quality, I have had Mercedes Benz SL500 of 1995 and I assure to them that this model of Jaguar XK8 is far better in all but comfortable but pretty better service and east durability vehicle is for all the life.

Favorite Features

Exquisite Quality

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle is for all the life

Stunning cat
By Ben Leone

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

This car is a sheer rush to drive. I have five other cars that all look great but this car is a stunner, stunner, stunner. The coupe is what makes it so different compared to today's vehicles that resemble soap bars. I have been taking care of some basic areas of maintenance, the tranny needed a fluid change. I put new platinum plugs in. Fixed the rear deck brake lamp. Now I am contemplating the engine timing tensioners which are said to be a weak point in the 4.0 motor. Mine is not showing any indication of ticking or jumped timing on cold start-up. I will look into this further. I still love the car, even if someday I put a ford 351 motor in it.

Favorite Features

The body style is superior. People give me dirty looks in this car like my daddy bought it for me. Even my wife notices people looking at us in an awkward fashion. My wife says it is their problem. If you want a Jag, get a Jag you only live once. Mine is sapphire blue with chrome wheels. Stunning!

Suggested Improvements

A motor that will not cost a fortune to repair. I have only owned it two months and have spent some 18000 dollars so far. I will keep you posted as to how I fair as time goes by. Thanks for reading this, I hope it helped.

Val's Jag
By valdempsey

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

I bought a low miles (17000) black w/tan interior convertible (from a music icon who bought he car off the showroom floor in Nashville). I am the second owner. I enjoy it. Only drive it on nice days. I rarely push it but when I do it performs. The interior quality is not up to what it should be and I would have put some metal in the front where that plastic piece is. I think this is the first year that Ford made the car. The technology on the engine was flawed in materials but does not seem to be too big a problem. Light lenses leak but glass is so much better than all the new plastic lenses. All and all a good car. Classic? Don't bet on it.

Favorite Features

trunk space, top, smooth, wife likes it.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality like glue, materials and appointments, especially convertables fall below exptected standards.

Incredible value
By xkdave

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

The XK is perhaps the best looking vehicle made, at least in coupe form. Even after all these years in production, the car gets the looks like it was a brand new design. Be careful if you're taller than 6'. It can be cramped inside.

Favorite Features

Incredible styling in the coupe. After six months, I still go out to the garage just to look at it. Highway comfort. Reasonable fuel economy. Handles good for its size.

Suggested Improvements

It's a low production piece, so it can be expensive to fix. I just replaced the transmission on my high-mileage car, and it cost almost 5k. High maintenance but worth it.

Automotive art
By geffel

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

This car has been a joy to drive for over two years. It has had its fair share of mechanical problems, and it does have some quirks (stalling at 90mph on the freeway once!), which are largely down to user error e.g. you should wait for the car to complete its diagnostics on start up before engaging a gear, otherwise you get an erroneous error message. There is nothing like an XK8 for getting admiring glances from those in the know, and from people who just love the classic lines of the beautiful cat. Despite the fact that I am trading mine in for something much more practical, I will always love the luscious feline with its muscular physique and energy.

Favorite Features

The looks

Suggested Improvements

Make it lighter, improve the handling, but otherwise leave it alone.

xk8 coupe
By jaguar52662

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

my 3rd jag, tis one is very fast at low speeds . it is not as warm as the xj6 or xjs it seems to have a cold almost german car feel to it , the perfomance is great, the suspension holds the road like no other car ( the factory tires are 12.5" wide) no out side noise but you can hear the exahust at low speeds, not a bad thing

Favorite Features

the windows lock in place when the doors are closed for a better wind seal

Suggested Improvements

soften the interior

best hi-performance car buy
By tlee

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

Replacing my Benz, I wanted a hi- performance, unique automobile that did not make me look like a middle aged old fool in a fast car (I'm 44). The Jaguar XK fit the bill. There are tons of bmw's, vette's, Z's and porsche's on the road, but few XK's. I feel great every time me and my '97 blue XK with only 27k drives up and by those 'other' cars, looking pretty and sophisticated. Ford has done a superb job improving upon Jag's reliability without ruining the styling, but few know it, making the XK the best hi- performance used car on the market today.

Favorite Features

body style borders on exotic. car is fast yet refined. I can get my three young boys in it!

Suggested Improvements

leather on driver side wears out too fast

XK8 Surprises after 3 years
By commuterjag

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Coupe XK8 2dr Coupe

I bought primarily based on looks with some attention to features like horsepower, big tires, interior -- and I still think it's one of best vehicles you could ever own. I thought I'd be paying for all the fun someday in repair bills, but to my surprise, the vehicle has been very reliable and trouble free. Knock (dashboard) Wood.

Favorite Features

Pure and simple: the bend of the metal (I've got the coupe) and the fact it's got almost 300 hp ready to go, but still gives 20MPG during the commute.

Suggested Improvements

Seats seems to be wearing quicker than I expected, and there's some fading in the color of the seat trim.