Used 1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

XK8 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

New owner
By 97jaguar

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

Set out to find a fun but cheaper car for the summer. It needed to do a few things...open air car, T top or rag, some power and must carry 2 sets of golf clubs. Looked at Trans Ams, Regal turbos, Corvettes, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. A Jag had never even crossed my mind. Came across an ad for a 1997 xk8 in Alberta where I live, about 4 hrs away. Long story short, bought it and love it! 16 yrs old 80k, 50,000 miles and mint! British racing green, green rag and tan int. The car has 2 mods, cold air intake and a stainless exhaust that runs under the rear axles. Not sure what it does for power but milage is great! Drove it home at 130kph, 80mph and got 28 mpg!!

Great looking car. Makes you look like a millionaire on a blue collar budget. Well put together with high end materials. Good power. The back seat can carry at least 2 cases of beer! Forget anyone sitting back there! Great trunk space. You have room for 2 sets of clubs plus a bit more. Just stuff your luggage in the back seat for a weekend golf getaway! Value!! You could buy a house for what this car cost in 97. Now it is tough to buy a nice used car for under $20,000. In Canada anyway, and I paid way less than that for this car. And I have to admit as you drive down the road and other drivers are looking...the little voice in your head is saying...OH ya, it is a Jag you are looking at!

Based on EPA figures a cold air and exhaust seem to be worth the money. Not sure what it does for perfomance since I have never driven one stock. Info on the net suggest that the 2 will add about 30hp. Who knows. I will swear that my car can get 28mpg at 80mph! It drops at lower speeds. 65mph shows 26mpg. The trip computer is VERY accurate, I have tested it against trip meters and refills. The car just loves to go.

Great car IF you can afford maintenance
By bcoreilly

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

It's a great car, and a lot of fun to drive. The exterior design is timeless and really does turn heads. But despite its exterior beauty and superior performance, it has drawbacks. The interior is cramped, and the back seats are laughably small - only small children or people with no legs could comfortably fit. My particular XK8 was fairly reliable until about a year ago, but now it's killing me with maintenance costs. When something does go wrong or require maintenance, expect to pay significantly more than you'd pay for a GM or Toyota.

One of the most beautiful exterior car designs of all time. Great handling, acceleration, and performance. Fuel economy is quite good relative to the engine's power. It is a pleasure to drive when it's working well.

With about 87,000 miles on it, this car is killing me in maintenance costs. Also, interior is cramped and back seats useless.

Gorgeous, but high maintenance!
By Charles

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I bought this lovely car with only 64K miles on it and in beautiful condition. It is spectacularly beautiful! It may be even more pretty with its top up than down! I love it. However, during the first month I owned it, it cost me $4,000 in repairs, and that's seeking out the lowest cost for parts and labor possible! Still, it is running great now! I will keep my fingers crossed, because this is a comfortable and wonderful car - when it is working!

Looks! Smooth transmission! Great turning radius!

Needs automatic top cover for when the top is down! Kind of a pain to have to put that cover on each time; head liner flops in the wind without the cover.

Worth more to me than it's resale value!
By robbyg@earthlink.net

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

My car has been great to own! It has been both fun to drive, reliable and reasonably inexpensive to service, less its gas mileage, which is 11-12 in town (on the good stuff, of course!). Really, my only problems have been with trim pieces; gear shift surround replaced because "S" mode switch got stuck in "S", both visors had mirrors that flopped open (replaced at about $375 ea), headlight assembly which fogs up (still not replaced), lumbar support (which inflates, then slowly deflates...) and the radio backlight is not lit...not bad for a nearly 10 year old car with 48k miles. I still love it and will probably replace it with a used XKR when I find a color I like for the right $. Thanks.

Hmmm. Maybe the color combo, it's a royal blue metallic with two-tone ivory/beige interior. Also, mine has the best looking wood veneers of any that I've looked at! I love that the trunk is usably large! I looked at a 911, which you could just barely load a case of wine in!(I wish I had an XKR!).

It's here, the new XK series!

XK8 Convertible
By M. Coggins

1997 Jaguar XK-Series Convertible XK8 2dr Convertible

I have always loved Jaguars, and have owned an XJS V-12 coupe before this car. The quality has really improved since Ford became the owner, bringing the factory and technology up to date. The cars have always been beautiful to look at (my first love was the E-Type coupe in 1961), but the reliability was less than ideal.That is no longer a problem. This vehicle has had only a few minor issues, including the CD changer, and requiring an adjustment on the latch mechanism for the convertible top. It still draws many stares and comments even today. This car is a classic. The new BMW's and others are too radical in their design. Sensual is the best word to describe Jaguars. I love them.

Both the exterior and interior design, the sound of the car when the accelerator is pushed to the floor, and the power. You can't tell this car is a convertible with the top up. It doesn't have the typical wind noise and squeaks and rattles of the other convertibles I've owned. It really handles!

Consider having adjustable suspension that would allow the tight Sport mode for me, but also have a plush mode for when we want a softer ride.