Used 1997 Jaguar XK-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jaguar XK-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XK-Series model:

New owner
By 97jaguar

1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

Set out to find a fun but cheaper car for the summer. It needed to do a few things...open air car, T top or rag, some power and must carry 2 sets of golf clubs. Looked at Trans Ams, Regal turbos, Corvettes, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. A Jag had never even crossed my mind. Came across an ad for a 1997 xk8 in Alberta where I live, about 4 hrs away. Long story short, bought it and love it! 16 yrs old 80k, 50,000 miles and mint! British racing green, green rag and tan int. The car has 2 mods, cold air intake and a stainless exhaust that runs under the rear axles. Not sure what it does for power but milage is great! Drove it home at 130kph, 80mph and got 28 mpg!!

Great looking car. Makes you look like a millionaire on a blue collar budget. Well put together with high end materials. Good power. The back seat can carry at least 2 cases of beer! Forget anyone sitting back there! Great trunk space. You have room for 2 sets of clubs plus a bit more. Just stuff your luggage in the back seat for a weekend golf getaway! Value!! You could buy a house for what this car cost in 97. Now it is tough to buy a nice used car for under $20,000. In Canada anyway, and I paid way less than that for this car. And I have to admit as you drive down the road and other drivers are looking...the little voice in your head is saying...OH ya, it is a Jag you are looking at!

Based on EPA figures a cold air and exhaust seem to be worth the money. Not sure what it does for perfomance since I have never driven one stock. Info on the net suggest that the 2 will add about 30hp. Who knows. I will swear that my car can get 28mpg at 80mph! It drops at lower speeds. 65mph shows 26mpg. The trip computer is VERY accurate, I have tested it against trip meters and refills. The car just loves to go.

Jaguar XK-8 Coupe Saphire Blue
By Ben Leone

1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Coupe

When critiquing a vehicle like this you must look at the unique elements of the piece. This piece is nothing less than STUNNING. I bought my Jag used. I LOVE it! The original owner paid 80K for it. I paid 14K. I did the valve cover gaskets and the top tensioners and that cost me 900 bucks. So far knock on wood, the car has been great! I would recommend this car to anyone. I am tired of looking at vettes and porsches, nothing personal of course. My car is one of 40 to come to the US in Sapphire Blue! Now that is rare, coupled with the fact that only 1129 coupes were made for America that year!

The sleek racy body style that is timeless and capturing. This car makes you feel like royalty. Treat yourself, but beware of folks with envy.

Re-design the timing chain and offer lifetime replacement at least once, for each unit out there that was designed WRONG in the first place.

The Best Car than they have been Invente
By Jimmy

1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Coupe

This car is the best car than they have been invented in its category, the car everything is of an exquisite quality, I have had Mercedes Benz SL500 of 1995 and I assure to them that this model of Jaguar XK8 is far better in all but comfortable but pretty better service and east durability vehicle is for all the life.

Exquisite Quality

This vehicle is for all the life

Great car IF you can afford maintenance
By bcoreilly

1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

It's a great car, and a lot of fun to drive. The exterior design is timeless and really does turn heads. But despite its exterior beauty and superior performance, it has drawbacks. The interior is cramped, and the back seats are laughably small - only small children or people with no legs could comfortably fit. My particular XK8 was fairly reliable until about a year ago, but now it's killing me with maintenance costs. When something does go wrong or require maintenance, expect to pay significantly more than you'd pay for a GM or Toyota.

One of the most beautiful exterior car designs of all time. Great handling, acceleration, and performance. Fuel economy is quite good relative to the engine's power. It is a pleasure to drive when it's working well.

With about 87,000 miles on it, this car is killing me in maintenance costs. Also, interior is cramped and back seats useless.

Gorgeous, but high maintenance!
By Charles

1997 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

I bought this lovely car with only 64K miles on it and in beautiful condition. It is spectacularly beautiful! It may be even more pretty with its top up than down! I love it. However, during the first month I owned it, it cost me $4,000 in repairs, and that's seeking out the lowest cost for parts and labor possible! Still, it is running great now! I will keep my fingers crossed, because this is a comfortable and wonderful car - when it is working!

Looks! Smooth transmission! Great turning radius!

Needs automatic top cover for when the top is down! Kind of a pain to have to put that cover on each time; head liner flops in the wind without the cover.