Used 1999 Jaguar XJR Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jaguar Xjr - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jaguar XJR

Base 4.0L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

The "ASC" light comes on / the car stops
By SF in SF

1999 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 XJR supercharged. I'm having a tough problem. When i first start out driving the "ASC" light comes on and then the car goes into a "slow mode" for a block and then light goes out and car drives another few feet and then light comes back on, and the car goes back into a slow mode. Then the car "gets over it " and it drives fine.

Favorite Features

Good handling. Plenty of power once we get past the slow start.

Suggested Improvements

Front end drives a little rough on City streets. A dream on the highway.

11 years of reliable performance, style
By Mark

1999 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, utterly reliable. Lowest maintenance cost of any car I've owned in 30 years. Performs as well now as the day I bought it. A joy to own and be proud of!

Favorite Features

Performance, style

Suggested Improvements

More available dealerships, less dealer rip-off attempts!

1999 Jaguar XJR
By Karl

1999 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan

I own my Jaguar for 5 years now, and only had to replace brakes and holes. Brake job cost over $500 and some holes jobs cost me $500 (Labor). Dealership labor is $120 an hour! It's still worth the money. When I drive my Jaguar XJR people stop and look at the car. I have all the time drive-by and give me a thumbs-up! My next car will be a 2008 Jaguar XJR, But I'm still keeping my 1999 Jaguar XJR.

Favorite Features

supercharged 4.0-liter DOHC V-8 that generates a whopping 370 hp and 387 pound-feet of torque. 0-60 5.2! Quarter mile in 13.7 seconds at 103.8 mph; topping out at an artificially limited 155-mph top speed (sans limiter, the big bad cat should top 170 mph)!

Suggested Improvements

Dealership Labor cost!

Jaguar XJR is an amazing car!
By A Happy XJR Owner

1999 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan

I did a lot of research before I bought my Jaguar XJR and I had been wanting to own this beautiful car. Finally the day came and we bought the 1999 Jaguar XJR. The car was in excellent condition and the 4.0L engine is super smooth, the acceleration is superb, and everything about the car is very smooth. I own a Chrysler 300M and once I drive the Jaguar XJR, I can tell the quality of the Jaguar is far more superior than the Chrysler. The high quality leather and wood trim interior is beautiful. My wife and daughter love sitting in the back seats because they are comfortable. Since I love high performance cars, the Jaguar XJR really meets my expectation.

Favorite Features

4.0L V8 Supercharged Engine 370 HP. High quality leather seats. Wood steering wheel. Wood trim interior. Spacious seats and trunk. Harman Kardon sound system. This car is a must buy car!

Suggested Improvements

None, buy one when you get the chance to buy it for less than $20,000, it is worth it!

A Blast with 4 Doors
By Bad Norwegian

1999 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a year and a half ago with only 7300 miles on it, it was almost 7 years old and still smelled new. I drove it over 1000 miles home (fast) and have only put another 200 miles on it in the time I have owned it. It's a weekend car for me and I absolutely love it.

Favorite Features

Power, styling, cornering, and did I mention power?

Suggested Improvements

255/40-18 is the wrong tire for an 8" wide rim, it makes the car swim slightly, and 255 is a bit wide for the front. Jaguar corrected this with optional wheels later on. I have the original wheels in storage and I am running 8x18 front and 9x18 rear with 245/45-18 front tires and 275/40-18 rears.