1997 Jaguar XJR Consumer Review: Oh what a ride it was!

1997 Jaguar XJR - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (4.0L 6-cyl. Supercharger 4-speed Automatic)

Oh what a ride it was!
By Dolle Dolf on

1997 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan

My well-maintained but hi-miles (160k) car died recently (227k) when the supercharger disintegrated and destroyed the engine. Too much $$ to repair. I already have spent $20k in 3 years in repairs, due to expensive parts. ABS/traction control module had to go to UK for reprogramming. Rear hub melted, destroyed a rotor and a drive shaft. A door dent was expensive to fix. some preventative maintenance including tranny fluid lines. The sunroof was $1200+. The seat computer I never bothered with as it conked out whilst in my fave position. etc etc. Still no regrets. These are beautiful, inspired cars and it has been a true joy to own. A perma-smile on my face each time I drove it.

The ride, the perfect blend of luxury and road feel for sporty drive. The seat-seems short initially but then became so comfortable. The wood/leather steering wheel. The idiosyncrasies such as the toggle switches in the pods next to the steering wheel. The look. The demeanor. The soul.

A time machine so my old car can be young again. A manual tranny. We know the rear seats lack legroom. The new cars are-IMO-not necessarily an improvement. More useless gizmos, rising vents, projector gauges, GPS, seat massage, etc, and still folks clamor for auto-close doors etc. What's the use?