2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

2006 XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Second VDP
By Michelle

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Super V8 Portfolio 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This is my second Vanden Plas! I bought the 2004 in 2003 when they first came out with the aluminum body style. I knew it would be hard to replace. I test drove some Mercedes S class vehicles which had a lot of nice technology and fun features, but parked next to my 2004 Jaguar, the 2007 S550 exterior styling just didn't have any of the sexy lines like the Jaguar. Just picked up my Midnight 2006 VDP with all the options. Compared to my old silver one - people (especially guys) really stare. The black with tinted windows and chrome wheels is very sharp!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth ( I am constantly on the phone) Rear DVDs (I have a 4 year old son, that is why I don't drive an XK - yet). JaguarVoice -- dealer installed voice command, so nice, and recognized my (female) voice easily (I thought it might not ). This car is just so smooth and sexy!

Suggested Improvements

Auto close trunk

Classic Style
By Ronnie G

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've been driving my new XJ8 for the past 3 months now and have been enjoying it ever since. I love the feeling of driving a car of this class, with its luxurious leather and wood and excellent Alpine sound system(worth the upgrade with the navi). The car feels big and important but at the same time feels very quick and sporty. The acceleration is super quick when merging on interstates and the car feels light when cruising. When driving, everything feels higher than your seated position giving a low, sporty feel, which is unique in a luxury car. I've bought my dream and I love every bit of it.

Favorite Features

The Bluetooth system that links the car to a cellular telephone without any wires, the leaper ornament, the navigation system with its British lady voice, and also the fact that I drive a Jaguar.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that Jaguar have a push/button system on the XJ series like Jaguar has done with their new XK series, and I also wish that the doors have a soft close system like BMW has put in their 7 series.

XJ8
By BMW enthusiast

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

As a long time multiple purchaser of 7 series BMW's, I stumbled onto this beautiful auto. It is still to new to evalute for the long term, but what a wonderful highway drive and a reasonable performer. Not a 7 series for performance, but more elegant looking and interior comfort unmatched by BMW or MB, and $20k less.

Favorite Features

Interior seating comfort, quietness, great looks.

Suggested Improvements

7 speed automatic ala MB, do away with the J gate transmission (not terrible but why?)

Best XJ Yet!
By Lloyd

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We have owned XJ Jaguars since early 80s. We loved the exterior style; were non plussed about the performance; but, suffered the interior dimensions. At 6' 4" in height it was a challenge to fit myself into the driver's seat (not to mention two equally tall sons in the rear seats). Now almost everything has changed. This model is an extraordinary improvement. The interior is very spacious. More head room than even my height can use. A back seat that provides two 6' 2" gentleman with more than ample leg, shoulder and head room. Incredible handling and driving performance. It is fast, silent and smooth. All the while, it has retained the Jaguar elegance which we have always appreciated.

Favorite Features

Seats are incredibly comfortable (even the valet commented on it). Handling is superb (seems to anticipate your thoughts). Very fast (excellent weight to horsepower ratio). Plenty of interior room. Great sound system (standard).

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift tends to catch on gear indentations when shifting. Larger review mirrors on outside. Side protection for inevitable dings.

Jaguar - A Class by Itself
By Carl A. Carreca

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Super V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Jaguar has done it again. This car is by far the most elegant and at the same time sporty in the luxury car field. No other manufacturer offers a muscle luxury sedan with superb styling like Jaguar. I bought this car with Jaguar Racing Green exterior. It is really unique and the number of compliments I get on this car is amazing. It performs well at all speeds and handles like a dream even at well above the speed limit. It feels like a much smaller sports car as far as roadability is concerned but rides like a much larger car which it really is. So far only oil changes and tire rotations.

Favorite Features

Color. Supercharged Engine. Impeccable ride. Classy sporty look with immaculate interior design. Would be lost without NAV System and my lady friend with the lovely English accent. What more could you ask for?

Suggested Improvements

Why is gas tank on the right side? We drive on the left. Lower profile would make this car even sexier, sits a little high for me.Why not go to paddle shifts on the steering wheel? How cool would that be? Center console has no storage compartment.

BETTER THEN MERCEDES
By Anthony G

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After having a S-Type and E-500, the Vanden Plas is by far the best car I have ever owned. If your looking for a Jaguar go for the XJ8L or the Vanden Plas. Style, Comfort, Performance, and Touch Screen Navigation are great! This car also looks better then any Mercedes on the Road including the S-Class!

Favorite Features

REAR DVD TV SCREENS IN BACK SEAT HEAD RESTS, 19" Alloy Wheels, Rear Window Shade, Touch Screen Navigation, J- Shifter, and Automatic Trunk!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy, Some Squeaking From Doors and Interior Compartment when going over bumps, 1 touch (3 Blink) Directionals like Mercedes has!

Wonderful Driving Experience
By Will

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is the most comfortable and best driving car that I have ever owned. The Jaguar styling is distinctive and classical in every respect. Unlike BMW and Mercedes, the instrument panel is not cluttered with complicated controls. I have the long wheel base model--the rear compartment is almost livingroom-like. For a car of this size and weight, milage is excellent; I have gotten almost 30 mph on the highway.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating both front and rear. Headroom. Acceleration. Excellent climate control--both heating and a/c.

Suggested Improvements

None

Outstanding Sedan...I love it!
By Rosalie Lynn Friedma

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This automobile is luxurious in looks and the way it drives. I am pleased with its interior, as well. It is responsive on the road, and very easy to drive, and all comments received are very favorable. I am proud to drive this vehicle, and enjoy owning it immensely. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to own a large, comfortable, prestigious automobile.

Favorite Features

I love the body contours, and the luxurious interior. It is sleek and beautiful inside and out, and handles very responively on the road. I feel very safe in this car.

Suggested Improvements

I would have a car seat to match the interior, as an optional purchase, available to the consumer. This would be an excellent add-on, that the public would really appreciate, parents, and grandparents, alike!

Love My Jag!
By Sea Breeze

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My husband surprised me w/my '05 XJ Vanden Plas N.Y.'s Eve. This has been my dream car all of my life. It drives like a dream. It looks gorgeous and still turns my head.

Favorite Features

I love the GPS and the little screen in the rear window. This especially comes in handy in HOT Tucson.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish the stereo were a little louder.

Jaguar does it
By Allain

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Great car. Great looking and what a joy to drive. Test drove MBZ e350 MBZ s430, AUDI A8, BMW 745 and 5 series-- Nothing could touch the Jag in my opinion. Best Value in a luxury car.

Favorite Features

Looks, drive train, build quality

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of Ford parts for blinkers, wipers etc..