Used 2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

XJ Offspring is wonderful!
By rhassm

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My wife inherited a XJ12C that I eventually restored. I was aware of some of the older Jaguar "mythology". As I restored this vehicle, the craftsmanship and engineering made an impression on me; however, the design and styling were the best. After learning this older Jag, we could not stray too far from the classic style and comfort of Jaguar. The 2006 XJ L is a remarkable vehicle. We have experienced fuel economy greater than 25 mpg on the road, in some cases very close to 30 mpg. The nimble comfortable ride make this vehicle a treat to drive.

Acceleration and nimbleness. Road noise quieting. Rear bumper distance sensors.

Wheels are difficult to maintain clean -- reduce spokes. Improve rear seat comfort.

By ken

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Super V8 Portfolio 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

The comfort and performance of our 06 Jag XJL is well beyond everything we expected. I have owned a Mercedes SL and this Jag responds much better in any type of driving. I do not understand the low rating on MPG as after almost two years, I get at least 20 MPG around town and no less than 30 on the highway at 75+ MPH. More if I keep it under 70.

High speed handling is excellent in any type of roadway or terrain.

Bargain Luxury?
By socalh2oskier

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

One of the quietest, smoothest rides you can find. And, if you do your research, you can find genuine bargains. I paid $33k for a 2006 with 18k miles, with an 84 month/75k mile warranty. Seats are comfortable - this is one of the best cars you could ever have for a long trip. Stereo is fantastic, nav is easy to operate, and bluetooth syncs easily with most phones. Surprisingly, gas mileage is very good. I average 18-20 in the city, and 27-29 on the highway. Handling, although far from sports-car like, is quite good. Overall, this is a fine car, much better than other cars in the same price range.

Air suspension gives an amazingly smooth ride. Stereo is top-notch. Interior design, although staid, exudes luxury.

Seats, although comfy, could be better - 4-way adjustable lumbar would be a big improvement (2007 and newer have this). Also, I am not a fan of having to use the nav touch-screen for climate control - too many screen changes required to simply turn A/C on or off.

Spectacular auto
By J Hensing

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series Super V8 Portfolio 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Finest car I've owned. Drives with great accuracy despite its size. Power is remarkable with smooth acceleration/shifts. Rides beautifully and yet corners surefootedly. Interior is truly luxurious including the sound system and the back seat AV DVD system.

Bluetooth, headroom (I am 6'4"), interior details and quality of leather, headliner, audio.

Get the CD changer and DVD out of the trunk.

Luxury & styling #1, reliability OK
By Alan B

2006 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Drives great, very luxurious experience, especially on the inside. Wife's favorite car. But understand you are buying the beauty and ride, not reliability or longevity. After 24 months had 3 recall/warranty items - didn't cost us a thing and Jag service was great! Nevertheless never had those issues with my BMWs, MBs, or even my Escalade. A fourth item, we paid $700 for rear brake pads/disks due to defective electronic parking brake no releasing fully (not covered). All this in 24 mo. If you love the car, recommend short lease 24-36 mo so you get it new. If you're buying for the long term/holding onto, I'd rec'd something else. But, we'll still get another one!

Wood trim, leather, chrome wheels, solid/soft/quiet ride. Solid feel. Unique classic look of exterior. Smooth acceleration and torque. Prefered XJ8 over the supercharged model because essence of XJ is its smooth, soft luxurious ride--the stiffened/louder supercharged version took away from that.

Keep improving the long term reliability, Jag has come along way but still fairly far behind BMW, Lexus. No big deal for the leasing people, fine when new, but won't want the hassle of repairs as car gets older, especially when they are no longer covered by manufacturer.