Used 2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Most Helpful|
My XJ8
By Ed Piccolino

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

A remarkable combination of agile performance, but not at the sacrifice of a very comfortable ride -- up to now, an impossible combination.

Favorite Features

Hot V-8 linked to a silky smooth 6 speed automatic.

Suggested Improvements

Steering column controls are confusing.

Classy and Quick
By Dan Derrick

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Jaguar is a bit of a paradox. Folks look at the classic Jaguar appearance and make assumptions, but this aluminum XJ is light, quick and responsive. The car handles well, and is comfortable. The cabin has plenty of space, but it also retains a warmth and coziness that is unique to Jaguar

Favorite Features

Classic appearance, with great performance

Better than a Lexus
By dj

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased an XJ8 for my wife two weeks ago and do far, I have been awed by everything about it. I wanted to purchase the new Lexus GS430, primarily based upon build quality and reliability reputation. The Lexus has nothing on the XJ8 in those areas. Plus, it has similar acceleration, a MUCH better ride, excellent handling and better MPG. So far in a combination of 50% city and 50% highway (usually at 75mph or better), it's averaging 27 MPG! I actually prefer the ergonomics of the Jag to the Lexus. In addition, our experience with the local Jaguar dealer has been on par with Lexus' vaulted reputation.

Favorite Features

STYLING, ride, handling, overall comfort, mileage and fit/finish. We both love the way the car just coddles the driver without feeling like marshmallow fluff. Transmission and engine are as smooth and quiet as anything else in it's class.

Suggested Improvements

At this price level, Xenon headlights, in-dash CD changer, and heated seats should be standard. The J-gate is neat, but would prefer more of a "slapstick" style manumatic shifter.

Great car
By matthew

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is one great car to own. It's bizarre how I catch myself driving this car much slower than any previous car I have owned. The reason: I feel like a million bucks driving it, and want to spend as much time behind the wheel as possible.

Favorite Features

Interior design/quality, premium sound, comfortable seats, gas mileage, the attention from others and fast acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Floaty drive during faster speeds and more seat positions on the base XJ8 (the model I own) drivers seat.

My Jaguar XJ8
By Richard Anapolsky

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle, it's look, ride and performance. The only major problem I have had is the computer system/modules. I find warning lights going on and then the dealer having problems tracing the route of the problem. Changing any of the 8 computer modules doesn't correct the problem. Hopefully the problem will be found and I will be able to enjoy my XJ8 even more. I have also not been able to find a supplier of the trailer hitch that Jaguar says is available for use with this auto. In addition producing an auto that is wired for cellular use and being told by the dealer that to activate it is $1,00- is ridiculous. Jaguar should price the activation to be affordable.

Favorite Features

CD deck in trunk and also in dash. Auto wipers that turn on when they sense water/rain.

Suggested Improvements

Offer radio that allows multiple sound systems as that which I had in previous Lincoln - Mark 8, Continental and Town Car. Push button entry from ouside at driver's door also would be nice.