2005 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
I love my Jag
By John on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have been an owner of Audi A8 and Merc CLS AMG. And I must say they both do their thing very well - separately. My AMG is wickedly fast, the A8 comfortable. But my Jag is the only car so far that does all these things well - in one handsome package. The surprise bonus is the economy; it runs more frugally than my previous A6! The aluminum frame is light and nimble, making this a fun car to drive actually. Its handling is not far off than the AMG, yet it's backseats are much more spacious. Awesome!

vanden plas rah rah
By mike g on 07/02/10 12:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The 2005 Vanden Plas XJ8 is the autobahn beater that should be considered by anyone looking to combine luxury with size and power. Jaguar's flagship matches up with the S-Class and the 700 Series very well. Less weight (aluminum) equals speed and agility you would not expect from such a large auto. The additional costs for he German cars can only leave you wondering why would you spend more to get less? Compare the three. The car will sell itself. Tally Ho

The Un-M5
By John on 06/14/09 23:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Looking for a fast, comfortable, and unique car is difficult in today's car market. When you nail the throttle and the supercharger responds with rrrrooowwwooowwh! All you need to do is lay into the accelerator, invoke its supercharged 4220-cc V-8's 390 bhp and 399 lb.-ft. of torque — and hold on! The suspension is not 'Track Day Lotus' but it's also not Brougham DeVille. Jaguar was able to find a happy medium between the two. As far as the interior goes, you always feel like first class British Airways in the front or the rear seats. Set the desired gap and speed on this radar-based system, Jaguar's ACC adjusts itself to maintain a safe combination of both. All in all a fantastic car!

XJ8L
By Timothy on 02/11/09 19:54 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second XJ8L and the body design is a blend of the lower height 2003 and front grill of the X-Type. I'm a fan of the performance. The car is very quiet and on two extended trips of 2,000+ miles I averaged 29 and 28.5 mpg respectively. Portions of the trip exceeded 30 mpg at 65 mph. The driver seats are amazingly comfortable with excellent lumbar support. As a musician, the Alpine stereo system delivers a very rich and neutral sound across the EQ spectrum, with the base being very natural, not boomy.

Dream Comes True
By happy girl on 10/07/07 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The XJ was always a car I dreamed of owning, fell in love with the wooden dash and steering wheel back in the day. I love that I have this car but it scares me. I read lots of reviews before purchasing and felt confident in purchasing the '05 XJ8L. We started hearing a creaking noise overhead; it is now in the shop having the alumunium panels reglued, how scary is that. I have been reassured that this is minor but it sounds serious. Still in love and missing my car!

If you like Jags
By xjr on 02/12/07 17:32 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Super V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Folks I am 6'2 220lbs, if you have my dimensions don't buy - you will always be uncomfortable in the bucket seats. The car has a very attractive exterior, and the engine will blow anything away in its class, but lets face it folks this is a super ford, and everyone knows it. Remember folks if you drive, and spend time in the car, prepare to hire a massage therapist for your back and thighs. I can't wait to sell the damn car. Just my thoughts.

2005 XJ8L Review
By Jaguar lover on 12/06/06 11:04 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third Jaguar and by far the best. The quality of this car is outstanding. Owning a Jag always meant you had to have a back up auto to drive when your Jag was in the shop. But, not anymore. Class, comfort, reliability and prestige you can't get from a German or Japanese mark. Four good sized adults can fit easily in this car and everyone is happy. The aluminum body, V8 and six speed transmission are light years ahead of the previous design. I love this car. If you're looking for the whole luxury package in a full sized car, check it out.

Luxury, Performance, Beauty, Value
By David T. on 05/18/06 14:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've compared specs with small-block MBs, BMWs, Audis, VWs. The XJ VDP is the roomiest, best ride, highest hp/ton of them all and the best compromise between comfort and sport in the luxury vehicles. It's so quiet and comfortable, yet I can drive it aggressively whenever I need to or want. Rear knee room is huge 'cause the wheelbase is longer than even a Bentley! The riv-bonded aluminum frame is state-of-the-art, so my VDP weighs only about 200 lbs more than my 2000 Firebird. Imagine that! A limo that responds like a sports sedan. My wife loves this car for the comfort and big back seat. All this for much less than the others. This Jag is a very fine automobile.

Dream Coach
By Allan Baker on 02/21/06 16:19 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Super V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Well, it's been a couple of months since I picked up this 'motor coach' -- that's right, it is not just a car, but a true 'motor coach'. Power, speed, quick feet and sure footing! I had a 2002 Mercedes S500, Sport Sedan - - no comparison! That was a mere car! This is something more! The heads turn and they stare when this motor coach is in their presence. This model is not for the shy and certainly not for the small ego! You have to have driving passion and pride to get in and out this joy!

Classy and Quick
By Dan Derrick on 01/10/06 15:29 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Jaguar is a bit of a paradox. Folks look at the classic Jaguar appearance and make assumptions, but this aluminum XJ is light, quick and responsive. The car handles well, and is comfortable. The cabin has plenty of space, but it also retains a warmth and coziness that is unique to Jaguar