2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Beautiful luxury
By robert ehrlich on 09/25/06 09:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I always wanted a Jaguar but had been afraid of poor reliability. I bought the new aluminum 2004 and love it. It is the best ride of any car I have owned. Looks distinctive and rides so smoothly and quietly it is hard to keep it within the speed limit. It has had no significant problems except for some false positives on the engine coolant warning light and remote keys that went dead in a few months. Minor compared to other cars I have bought new. Would definitely buy a Jag again but will probably keep this car for years. Jag has done a great job.

2004 Jaguar Vanden Plas
By R Horkey on 09/10/06 20:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

For the money the best car I have ever owned. Perfect ride for my wife, a little soft, but the kick in the engine is for me.

A Great Car
By Don on 06/27/06 09:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Outstanding car with excellent mileage, over 30 at 70 mph. Looks great and drives even better

One Year Later
By Paul on 01/08/06 17:01 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned the XJ8 over a year now, and am still in awe of this machine. My only problem was a noisy accessory belt that would chirp when the engine was cold. Jag fixed it with the one year service. Jag has built a high quality car with personality and every trip seems too short. The power from the V-8 is more than sufficient, with excellent fuel economy for a large luxury car. You will find it easy to drive the car very fast, with the CATS suspension changing its setting to keep you on an even keel and comfortable. At very high speeds (I wont say how high), the car will catch a bit of a cross wind. You will feel like royalty in this car, nothing can match it for the money.

Only a Jag can be this good
By Jerry on 12/05/05 15:05 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

The fit and finish are unlike any other manufacture, if you want luxury with performance the XJR is the way to go. Fun to drive and comfortable.

Drives Nicely, but a piece of junk!!
By fenn on 12/01/05 14:51 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

The XJR drives nicely and is very quick. However, it is a poorly built hunk of junk. My car spends almost as much time at the dealership as it does in my garage. The quality is very poor, and it is unreliable.

Drives Nicely But Unreliable and Shoddy
By fenn on 09/24/05 17:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

My 2004 XJR is a lovely car to drive, but it has the most atrocious reliability I have ever experienced. The car has numerous malfunctions and flaws and Jaguar customer service is unconcerned and callous. This car has been in the shop for every problem imagineable. This has been a horrible experience with respect to service and reliability

XJ8 Luxury Class Leader
By Doug Finch on 07/18/05 03:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The totally new XJ8 is a truly enjoyable luxury car! It has everything a luxury car needs to have. Jaguar didn't leave anything out when they redesigned the XJ8. The option list is small since just about everything you need is standard. The available options truly can turn your car into one that you will meet the needs of all the occupants.The car feels so lightweight due to its aluminum body. It is very stiff and firm. The ride is very smooth and controlled with its computer controlled self leveling suspension. It will be interesting to see how Jaguar will improve such a fine automobile.

2004 Jaguar 2004 Vanden Plas
By Louis Daily on 03/25/05 11:29 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Best built car that I have driven in over 60 years. It is comfortable, has excellent performance, and is quiet. It lacks rear seating sufficient leg room, and lacks the elegant interior and exterior appearance of previous Vanden Plas models. Rear seating tray tables were omitted from this year's Vanden Plas. My wife and I each have one. The rear seats are occupied rarely, and so we are very happy with ours.

Great car
By lindal on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Excellent car and fun to drive. It has style much more so than the Lexus. Very distinctive. Good gas mileage considering it'a a V8. Love the power and ride is smooth. All my friends were impressed.