Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Best Car in Sight.
By Leaper

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

When driving my newly purchased used Jaguar XJ8 I feel like I am driving the best car in sight, no matter where I am. It has a combination of speed, comfort, agility, style, reliability, and economy that makes it the best car on the road in America. The interior has features similar to the Bentley and Rolls Royce, also designed by Van den Plas, the man who worked on the interior of this Big Cat Jaguar. The full power of the car is felt in the passing lane acceleration, when it pushes you back into the seat. The eye catching looks when you pull up in front of the finest hotel in town, or the great admiration of all the people who simply root for Jaguar owners is not to be missed.

Favorite Features

The power of the acceleration once the car is moving. Going from 35 to 75 is a thrill in itself. So smooth, and the power of the simple V8 is effortless. Also love the stereo! Clear, crisp, treble, rocking solid bass, more than you need if you want it. Love the subtle night lighting in the cabin.

Suggested Improvements

No doubt, at 6'2" I would like one more inch of leg room, and the rear passengers would like one more inch of leg room. Would take it from the trunk, which is more than big enough. I am noticing some grab in braking at the last moments, so might need to use my 100,000 mile warranty to fix it.

Jack's Jag
By Jack

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas is the finest motorcar that I have ever owned. The quality of the fit and finish is superb. The performance of the vehicle on all types of road surfaces is excellent, and it is fun to drive. The seats are very supportive and serve to enhance the driving experience. Fuel economy is exceptional, with over 30 miles per gallon on the highway. The cabin is quiet and comfortable at cruising speed. I only wish that I had purchased such a fine vehicle sooner.

Favorite Features

Appearance, interior comfort and finish, economy, and performance.

Suggested Improvements

None significant.

Still unsure
By cubby

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Always liked the looks of the Jag, I have yet to find anything I don't like about it (well maybe). The car has a little too much road noise. It comes from the front area and is more noticeable at slow speeds and when slowing down to a stop. It has all weather tires and this might be the reason for this or maybe I'm being a little over the top.

Favorite Features

So far everything is a 9 or 10.

Suggested Improvements

The new ones are probably quieter than the older ones (I'm hung up on excess road noise).

Exellent Used Car Value
By Gilbert35031

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

It's tough to beat buying a luxury car that sold for $65,000 for less than $30,000 with only 27,000 miles on it. I've owned 12 cars in my driving life and this is by far the nicest. It's quick and super comfortable. The ride is on the softer side however for every day driving and some fun on the weekends you can't beat it. The reliability has been great so far. Compared to the 745 from 2004 there are some definite differences in size and ride however they cost at least $10,000 more for a comparable car. Not worth it in my mind. All cars are worthless in the end.

Favorite Features

Seats, smooth ride, leather wrapped everything, solid handling, great acceleration. I'm averaging 21 mpg with a 300hp V8 under the hood. You can beat it.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up the interior a bit. Some creaks and rattles have show up recently. A bit firmer suspension, or the option to select a sport suspension mode would be a nice touch.

Great Sedan and Reasonable to Operate
By GE1024

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

CATS air suspension really provides for a wonderful ride. The car sails on the highway with better gas mileage than you might believe for this 300 HP V-8 (I routinely get greater than 28 MPH highway and and average of 24 MPH with some in-town). The interior is lush. The experior appeal is super. Navigation works extremely well (get the 2007 disc). Sound system is super. If you happen to find one with the rear control-DVD system in the headrests, you will have the complete package.