Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Most Helpful|
A Gem
By orjohn

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my XJ8 2004 for 3 years and I still love every time I drive this car. It is truley a wonderful design and very well built and for me has been one light bulb reliable. I may get another one for my family, its that good. Price is almost too good to comprehend. The aluminum chassis and body makes it great on gas with 28-30 on the highway. For a V8 - really? - yes it is true. A gem of a car, now almost 10 years new...

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, build quality, smooooooth ride, power when you need it. Leather smell still there after 10 years. Handling, oh so pleasing for a sedan.

Suggested Improvements

No MP3 or USB connection. Crummy radio and message reporting LED panel, No triptonic gear change capability.

Gorgeous car; ugly repairs.
By indiansummer

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this car in January of 2011 with 13k miles on it. Always wanted this model. I knew what I was getting myself into but was stubbornly optimistic. I wanted to believe Jag had improved their reliability over the years but was quickly disappointed. The performance is beyond reproach and I admit I am now spoiled with its power and plush interior. But by 20K, one of the shocks blew. By 30k, the air suspension compressor died. By 40k, another shock blew. By 45k, the car died mid-ride (thank God I wasn't on the freeway). The dreaded "engine systems fault" light illuminated. Dealer couldn't figure out the problem and it magically cured itself; promptly traded it for reliable Lexus.

Favorite Features

Exceptional engine performance and plush interior.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the air suspension or make it more reliable. A complete air suspension fail at 40k miles is unacceptable.

WOW!
By welchct4

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my, low-mileage (23k), 2004 XJ Vanden Plas for a little over a month now. This automobile is without question the finest automobile that I have ever owned. The quality of the interior blows away anything from Germany or Japan. The electronics (Alpine stereo, Nav, Rear DVD, etc.) are simple, logical and easy to operate. The exterior is a timeless classic and the aluminum body make the MPG's incredible (18-20 city/28-31 hwy). In fact, I've averaged 27.3 mpg (80% Hwy./20% City) for the first 1,300 miles that I've owned the car! Ridiculous depreciation, based upon sins of the past, make this without question the best value in the used luxury car market.

Favorite Features

Incredible Hwy. MPG's! Classic exterior styling. First-class interior. Easy to use electronics.

Suggested Improvements

None

Gorgeous Perfection
By John

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned our Radiance Red/Ivory Leather Vandan Plas for 5.5 years now. It is still perfect in every way. It has never made a visit to the dealer for anything except routine maintenance. It gets 28-30 mpg on the highway.(Averaged 28.6 mpg on trip from New England to Florida a few years back and that average included local driving! Only weighs 3800 lbs due to Aluminum structure and ours was the 1st year of release and is short wheel based just as we like it. This has been our 2nd XJ (the only real Jag saloon) and both have been flawless. No one does luxury like the Brits!

Favorite Features

A look that is distinct from a mile away. Our color combo is beyond striking!

Suggested Improvements

Less wind noise when sunroof cover pulled back.

My 7th Jaguar
By ruyg7

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have never owned more than three of any brand in succesion, but my Jaguars have been an exception. My current 2004 XJ 8 was purchased with 73000 miles 18 months ago, it now has 114000 miles on the odometer It is the MOST dependable used car i have ever owned, except for my new Dodge trucks. This Jaguar routinely gets 28-30 mpg at highway speeds, and 20 mpg in city driving. It has been a dream to own, and has never let me down. The car is dead reliable, a pleasure to drive , and very quick. The interior is very plush, and is resistant to wear and tear. Dont believe the nay sayers about Jaguar reliability, I have owned BMW's and Mercedes cars that were a lot more problamatic than my Jaguars.

Favorite Features

The silky ride is the best in the industry, the powerfull engine , no squeeks or rattles even after 114K miles. The nimble handling, and road manners. The beautiful wood and leather interior, is old world charm, rather than all the cheap plastics in the current cars.

Suggested Improvements

More room for the back seat passengers, bigger trunk.