Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Gorgeous Perfection
By John

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned our Radiance Red/Ivory Leather Vandan Plas for 5.5 years now. It is still perfect in every way. It has never made a visit to the dealer for anything except routine maintenance. It gets 28-30 mpg on the highway.(Averaged 28.6 mpg on trip from New England to Florida a few years back and that average included local driving! Only weighs 3800 lbs due to Aluminum structure and ours was the 1st year of release and is short wheel based just as we like it. This has been our 2nd XJ (the only real Jag saloon) and both have been flawless. No one does luxury like the Brits!

A look that is distinct from a mile away. Our color combo is beyond striking!

Less wind noise when sunroof cover pulled back.

Back from Benz
By CBuck

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Had some Jags, went to Benzs but they feel sterile and cold. Now back to Jags and I have been very pleased. Six years old and still a head turner getting lots of unsolicited compliments. No car draws like a Jag. 32 MPG on a 400 mile highway trip (70+MPH). I use the recommended premium on trips but regular around town. These are a bargain on the used market. Paid $18,000 for a beautiful car with only 43,000 miles. For that price I could have been stuck in a new econobox.

Looks, ride, class, interior, power. I forgot how much fun a V8 can be. This 2004 Jag has more hi-tech gadgets than my 2006 Benz did.

Nav is dated and a just to get a new disk is more expensive than a entirely new Garmin system.

Remarkable value. Exceptional car
By razrover

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car has to be the best value on the market. It get a respectable 24 MPG with 400 horses under the hood. This is not your dad's jag. It feels light and responsive. When you hit the sport button the throttle is very responsive and you feel extremely fast. The interior is perfect. Everything that looks like leather IS leather and everything that look like metal IS metal. Things you expect when your original sticker is $90k. Ridiculous depreciation that is mostly due to the sins of the past make this car a remarkable value. Currently the car has 85,000 miles and I've had it for 3 years. Buy an extended waranty and pat yourself on the back for buying one of the greatest cars ever.

The Ricaro seats are very nice. You sit in the seats not on them. They hug you nicely in the corners. Adaptive cruise control is very reliable. I set it for 70 MPH in 5 o'clock Houston traffic and the car reduced speed all the way to 10 MPH before finally disengaging, incredible technology.

Brake pads can be expensive due to a low aftermarket. $100 per wheel but they are very good and stop you when you need them to. Plan on this when you purchase the car. They last about 30-40,000 miles. There is no need for expensive dealer service on this job...go to any mechanic to have this done.

A Most Beautiful Automobile
By TJA

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Even though I just purchased an almost 6 year old automobile, this car is absolutely beautiful. The interior is warm, elegant, and exceptionally comfortable. I searched for over 6 months for a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity or Jaguar and found this most excellent of motorcoaches. I feel good about my purchase and the car runs like a dream. The impressive acceleration is something that my Infinity does not share with the XJ8. Although I love my Infinity. This really is a work of art.

Warm interior, easy to use controls, and overall look.

I do wish the driver seat went back just a bit more, but not a problem.

Victoria and Albert
By newjaguar

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car is so good we bought an identical certified used one. We call these fine cars Victoria and Albert. My initial 2004 review remains true. "I cannot quite believe that I am getting a Jaguar. My last 3 cars were BMWs. I do not like the design of the new BMW. The quality of the new Mercedes was inferior. The new XJ8 design, quality, performance, and value are clearly superior to BMW and Mercedes. My new XJ8 is extraordinarily comfortable. The performance is terrific. This is not your father's Jaguar. The new aluminum body is a leap ahead of the competition."

Style, comfort, reliability