Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

A Gem
By orjohn

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my XJ8 2004 for 3 years and I still love every time I drive this car.

It is truley a wonderful design and very well built and for me has been one light bulb reliable.

I may get another one for my family, its that good.
Price is almost too good to comprehend.
The aluminum chassis and body makes it great on gas with 28-30 on the highway. For a V8 - really? - yes it is true.

A gem of a car, now almost 10 years new...

Gas mileage, build quality, smooooooth ride, power when you need it. Leather smell still there after 10 years. Handling, oh so pleasing for a sedan.

No MP3 or USB connection. Crummy radio and message reporting LED panel, No triptonic gear change capability.

sexy lady
By ferious

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

well well i have driven many bmw mb lexuses and infiniti and i have now owned this xjr
for 3 mths and i must say without a doubt this is truly one of the best vehicles i have driven.i think my fellow jag lovers we should really keep this
one as our secret weapon,few cars can really hang with it.

exterior curves ,instant acceleration,comfort and stares of envy from other so called luxury car owners.

My 7th Jaguar
By ruyg7

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have never owned more than three of any brand in succesion, but my Jaguars have been an exception.
My current 2004 XJ 8 was purchased with 73000 miles 18 months ago, it now has 114000 miles on the odometer
It is the MOST dependable used car i have ever owned, except for my new Dodge trucks.
This Jaguar routinely gets 28-30 mpg at highway speeds, and 20 mpg in city driving.
It has been a dream to own, and has never let me down. The car is dead reliable, a pleasure to drive , and very quick.
The interior is very plush, and is resistant to wear and tear.
Dont believe the nay sayers about Jaguar reliability, I have owned BMW's and Mercedes cars that were a lot more problamatic than my Jaguars.

The silky ride is the best in the industry, the powerfull engine , no squeeks or rattles even after 114K miles. The nimble handling, and road manners. The beautiful wood and leather interior, is old world charm, rather than all the cheap plastics in the current cars.

More room for the back seat passengers, bigger trunk.

1 Week Into Jaguar Ownership
By mherbst

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

12k a 40k mile car was a steal. I purchased this car knowing something would break. You have to have that mindset for all Jaguars and plan accordingly. This car was below my budget for a used car, and I put my savings from the purchase into an account for future repairs. I'm now very glad I did. 1 week in and the sunroof is broken, air suspension has visible leaks, who knows what else.
Just the parts for the sunroof are $800, rear air suspension is $1500 for one shock.
If you don't mind working on a car yourself (which I don't) this is a decent buy, also for air suspension issues arnott makes better than factory suspension. 4 shocks for the price of a jag one.

Smooth ride, smooth power delivery, car drives effortlessly

Air suspension components, electronic components

Lifelong Jaguar Owner
By smayuga

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Select Edition with 25K miles in 12/05. The car still looks and runs like new at 96K miles in 10/12. Car has been a dream, very reliable, repairs few and far between.
Never been stuck due to breakdown.
My 2004 is most reliable car ever.
Quality of ride and handling, interior leather and paint are stunning; Comfort and Class personified.
Not an all out sports car (I still have my E-Type for that) but for a sedan I've never found it wanting for speed, handling, cornering or any other "normal" performance requirement.
You can pick up used ones for around $10-12K an amazing bargain.
Car should not have major repair issues till closer to 200K in miles.

Lather interior; comfort and ride; incredible alpine sound system; acceleration when needed.

Don't make succeeding versions so wonderful so that it tempts you to prematurely trade-in a perfectly wonderful XJ (with tens of thousands of miles comfortable driving left in it) for an even more wonderful and technologically advanced XJ!