2004 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
OMG - What a car !!
By callum2 on 01/07/11 00:48 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Well, I have had my 2004 XJ8 for a week now and I cannot believe how awesome this car is. Full disclosure - I an 49 and waited a long time to drive the perfect car, I found it in the XJ8 I could not afford a new one and this 2004 is a close second best. I have a mercedes C320 ($58k new) wagon sports which I like, but the jag has it beat Anyone in the market for a 2004 with some low-med miles can expect a truley great car John beat Good news for those of us looking for a used Jag is there aint a lot of folks looking so proices are lower that Merc or BMW wagon sports with all bells and whistles and sports package 20 2002 and I like it

Best car ever
By calhistory on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 in 2009. After one year of pleasure driving, I am as excited about this car after 10,000 miles as the first day I took ownership. The ride, the quality, the looks, and the performance are unmatchable in this price range. I could not afford a new Jag, and I was hesitant, but couldn't help myself, and my decision to buy this 5-year old was one of the best decisions ever. This car has worked flawlessly in the city (San Francisco) and on long drives. I have the car regularly maintained by a Jag dealer and couldn't be happier. As they say, this car sold for nearly $70,000 new. There's a reason it cost that much. Take care of it, it will take care of you.

No regrets
By Paul on 07/20/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2004 Jaguar XJ8 in May, 2008. It had 35,000 miles on it and, yet, it has taken me an additional 50,000 trouble-free, breathtakingly quick miles. The car is a beauty, British racing green with sand interior. The normally aspirated engine responds well and the ZF transmission translates that power to the road immediately. The XJ handles like a much smaller car, dancing over the road rather than crushing it as its German stablemates tend to do. This is the best, most responsive car I've ever owned. A true joy to behold and to drive.

Gorgeous Perfection
By John on 05/16/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned our Radiance Red/Ivory Leather Vandan Plas for 5.5 years now. It is still perfect in every way. It has never made a visit to the dealer for anything except routine maintenance. It gets 28-30 mpg on the highway.(Averaged 28.6 mpg on trip from New England to Florida a few years back and that average included local driving! Only weighs 3800 lbs due to Aluminum structure and ours was the 1st year of release and is short wheel based just as we like it. This has been our 2nd XJ (the only real Jag saloon) and both have been flawless. No one does luxury like the Brits!

Back from Benz
By CBuck on 04/28/10 07:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Had some Jags, went to Benzs but they feel sterile and cold. Now back to Jags and I have been very pleased. Six years old and still a head turner getting lots of unsolicited compliments. No car draws like a Jag. 32 MPG on a 400 mile highway trip (70+MPH). I use the recommended premium on trips but regular around town. These are a bargain on the used market. Paid $18,000 for a beautiful car with only 43,000 miles. For that price I could have been stuck in a new econobox.

Remarkable value. Exceptional car
By razrover on 04/14/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car has to be the best value on the market. It get a respectable 24 MPG with 400 horses under the hood. This is not your dad's jag. It feels light and responsive. When you hit the sport button the throttle is very responsive and you feel extremely fast. The interior is perfect. Everything that looks like leather IS leather and everything that look like metal IS metal. Things you expect when your original sticker is $90k. Ridiculous depreciation that is mostly due to the sins of the past make this car a remarkable value. Currently the car has 85,000 miles and I've had it for 3 years. Buy an extended waranty and pat yourself on the back for buying one of the greatest cars ever.

A Most Beautiful Automobile
By TJA on 02/06/10 19:43 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Even though I just purchased an almost 6 year old automobile, this car is absolutely beautiful. The interior is warm, elegant, and exceptionally comfortable. I searched for over 6 months for a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity or Jaguar and found this most excellent of motorcoaches. I feel good about my purchase and the car runs like a dream. The impressive acceleration is something that my Infinity does not share with the XJ8. Although I love my Infinity. This really is a work of art.

Victoria and Albert
By newjaguar on 10/20/09 17:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car is so good we bought an identical certified used one. We call these fine cars Victoria and Albert. My initial 2004 review remains true. "I cannot quite believe that I am getting a Jaguar. My last 3 cars were BMWs. I do not like the design of the new BMW. The quality of the new Mercedes was inferior. The new XJ8 design, quality, performance, and value are clearly superior to BMW and Mercedes. My new XJ8 is extraordinarily comfortable. The performance is terrific. This is not your father's Jaguar. The new aluminum body is a leap ahead of the competition."

Best Car in Sight.
By Leaper on 09/07/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

When driving my newly purchased used Jaguar XJ8 I feel like I am driving the best car in sight, no matter where I am. It has a combination of speed, comfort, agility, style, reliability, and economy that makes it the best car on the road in America. The interior has features similar to the Bentley and Rolls Royce, also designed by Van den Plas, the man who worked on the interior of this Big Cat Jaguar. The full power of the car is felt in the passing lane acceleration, when it pushes you back into the seat. The eye catching looks when you pull up in front of the finest hotel in town, or the great admiration of all the people who simply root for Jaguar owners is not to be missed.

Jack's Jag
By Jack on 12/06/08 17:05 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas is the finest motorcar that I have ever owned. The quality of the fit and finish is superb. The performance of the vehicle on all types of road surfaces is excellent, and it is fun to drive. The seats are very supportive and serve to enhance the driving experience. Fuel economy is exceptional, with over 30 miles per gallon on the highway. The cabin is quiet and comfortable at cruising speed. I only wish that I had purchased such a fine vehicle sooner.